• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I leave a failing project?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No don't leave
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
      yes leave
      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      No don't leave
      Take the advice you want to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by UKContractorNewbie View Post
        Can be at the clients until it crashes but as they don't listen. The end of project and they delivery date matches hence no one to blame or defend but can I be financially liable for a team failure?. If I decide to reman until I get another contract will I'l be safe or better to pull the plug 1.5 months before the end of contract? either way if I give the notice will be finishing serving it 2 weeks before the contract is due.

Any Help VERY much appreciated.
        You have professional indemnity insurance right? Why do you think the blame will be put on you? What exactly did you do to screw things up so badly...!?!? :O

Comment

Suing an interim manager for a delayed project wouldn't get very far. The sort of things you can be sued for will be covered by indemnity insurance, eg spilling coffee over an expensive machine or accidentally deleting sensitive data. Any penalties to be incurred for a delayed project would have to be outlined in the contract and would apply to a fixed price contract where the work is under the control of the supplier. As an interim manager paid by the hour, the worst they can do is not pay the invoice.

It was explained to me by a lawyer albeit not in the UK, that it is very difficult indeed to demonstrate that someone working on a consulting hours contract has done something for which they can sue or even withhold payment. In fact I saw this for myself when I was involved in a project which did go badly wrong, it was actually abandoned part of the way through and the court decided the customer had to pay for all the work that was done, and that was a fixed price contract that wasn't completed.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

If you're posting this on a forum I really feel you've probably blagged into way into a role you're not capable of delivering.

This sort of thing happens all the time - you need to man up and manage it IMO..

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
              If you're posting this on a forum I really feel you've probably blagged into way into a role you're not capable of delivering.

This sort of thing happens all the time - you need to man up and manage it IMO..
              If you are posting that on a forum, you probably have no idea what you are talking about.

How about some advice instead of insults?

Comment

Originally posted by UKContractorNewbie View Post
                Can be at the clients until it crashes but as they don't listen. The end of project and they delivery date matches hence no one to blame or defend but can I be financially liable for a team failure?. If I decide to reman until I get another contract will I'l be safe or better to pull the plug 1.5 months before the end of contract? either way if I give the notice will be finishing serving it 2 weeks before the contract is due.

Any Help VERY much appreciated.

Use this as an opportunity to show what you are capable of. Take ownership of the project, burn some midnight oil, kick some butt and do anything possible to hit the deadline. You will then be regarded as a god and will be able to use this as a stepping stone for more greater adventures.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                X