• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I leave a failing project?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crawding View Post
    I am looking for some advice really, I am currently in a contract as Head of IT in charge of a data centre migration project. I am having continuing problems with senior management due to their inexperience at the senior level and they are failing the project. I have made my recommendations but I don't think these recommendations are getting up to the board as they don't fit with the current management stance of nodding and agreeing.

The current senior management are allowing the business to lead the migration and due to the inexperience they have allowed the business to set the time-frame, budget and changing the scope on a daily basis. So currently I have 45 days (not working days) to move 212 virtual servers, 1 physical device and around 30TB of constantly changing data with no connectivity to the new site until 10th March and when that connectivity is live it will only be a 100Mbps IPSEC VPN and there is a total project budget of £0 as everything done must go through a business case process to be assessed for reuse.

So my question here is simple, do I write a formal letter to management from my limited company stating they are failing as they aren't taking my advice as an SME and leave before they try to pin to failure on my management of the project? Or do I try to engage someone at board level? Or do I just drive it forward best I can until it fails?
    If you are the head of IT, you have to make sure that all the people below the hierarchy are following your directions since the beginning of the project. You are responsible and there is no mercy on this. Period.

You must stay and check the responsibilities why went wrong.
    If you leave, they will blame you because you are not there to defend yourself.

Good luck
    Last edited by Bee; 1 March 2017, 18:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      If you are the head of IT, you have to make sure that all the people below the hierarchy are following your directions since the beginning of the project. You are responsible and there is no mercy on this. Period.

You must stay and check the responsibilities why went wrong.
      If you leave, they will blame you because you are not there to defense yourself.

Good luck
      Good solid advice there. That will sort it.
      Sure that's a /threadclosed
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        No, since that's not actually the situation the OP is facing.

HTH...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Is this a compliment? You must be sick or you miss me.

Comment

Is this a compliment? You must be sick or you miss me.
            I'll give you a clue. It's not. HTH.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              No, since that's not actually the situation the OP is facing.

HTH...
              You haven't seen many discussions between NLUK and Bee, have you?

NLUK thinks Bee has hit rock bottom and started to dig.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                You haven't seen many discussions between NLUK and Bee, have you?

NLUK thinks Bee has hit rock bottom and started to dig.

Comment

Can you be financial liable for a project failure as an analyst?

Can be at the clients until it crashes but as they don't listen. The end of project and they delivery date matches hence no one to blame or defend but can I be financially liable for a team failure?. If I decide to reman until I get another contract will I'l be safe or better to pull the plug 1.5 months before the end of contract? either way if I give the notice will be finishing serving it 2 weeks before the contract is due.

Any Help VERY much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by UKContractorNewbie View Post
                    Can be at the clients until it crashes but as they don't listen. The end of project and they delivery date matches hence no one to blame or defend but can I be financially liable for a team failure?. If I decide to reman until I get another contract will I'l be safe or better to pull the plug 1.5 months before the end of contract? either way if I give the notice will be finishing serving it 2 weeks before the contract is due.

Any Help VERY much appreciated.
                    Keep telling them what needs to be done via email. Make sure you keep copies of the email. Then you cannot be held financially liable.

However, they might still make your name mud. In theory they cannot do that. Proving they have done it can be hard.

Comment

yes leave

Comment

Working...
                      X