• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract changes by the agency without notice and agreement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The contractor shouldn't be aware of that.

They shouldn't have knowledge of the full contract between the client and agency including payment amounts and terms which is why you don't want to see it.
    They won't be, we've covered that bit.

We're speculating on potential reasons for the contractor's rate cut to be forced upon them and they could be, based on what we've discussed so far:
    • Client is operating a rate cut across the board (although these are usually well-communicated when affecting all contractors)
    • Client is paying over the odds because agent's cut is huge (agent taking £200 out of a £500 a day budget for example
    • Agency made a mistake and passed the whole lot on to contractor, simply copying the agreed day rate from client contract to contractor contract.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      They won't be, we've covered that bit.

We're speculating on potential reasons for the contractor's rate cut to be forced upon them and they could be, based on what we've discussed so far:
      • Client is operating a rate cut across the board (although these are usually well-communicated when affecting all contractors)
      • Client is paying over the odds because agent's cut is huge (agent taking £200 out of a £500 a day budget for example
      • Agency made a mistake and passed the whole lot on to contractor, simply copying the agreed day rate from client contract to contractor contract.
      Or agency thought that they were going to get an increase, agreed a contract with the contractor based on their presumption, and now want to back out of it.
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
        Or agency thought that they were going to get an increase, agreed a contract with the contractor based on their presumption, and now want to back out of it.
        Must admit, if I was being subjected to a rate cut with no mention from the client, I'd be pulling my hiring manager to one side to confirm it.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
          That's for a judge to decide. In the 1939 case that I referred to earlier, the negotiations were for "30000 skins at 10d per skin" but the contract for "30000 skins at 10d per lb" so there was clearly an obvious mistake.

If the negotiations were for £300 a day and the agent has put £300 an hour in the contract, that's an obvious mistake.
          Psychocandy vs Permatemps Ltd (2015) had a similar situation over £60 / day vs £60 / hour.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Must admit, if I was being subjected to a rate cut with no mention from the client, I'd be pulling my hiring manager to one side to confirm it.
            This.

Comment

Working...
            X