• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DevOps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read "The Phoenix Project" - its a novel based about IT and Devops. its actually quite a good read and less than a fiver on Kindle

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      Read "The Phoenix Project" - its a novel based about IT and Devops. its actually quite a good read and less than a fiver on Kindle
      Really good book - a nice way of explaining things.

Thanks JJG

Comment

Horses for Courses

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post

Anyone got any ideas what this means?
        Like Agile it's a religion thing and people will burn each other over arcane definitions. Be prepared to get torn to pieces in an interview because you are Sunni and they are Shia.

For me it tends to imply continuous integration. That really also implies automated testing. Everybody's trying to do that and I've never seen anyone make notable progress.

DevOps is very trendy and will give you a much better chance of getting a job but I would suggest you stand a much higher chance of walking into a chaotic shambles.
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Current client is doing this. What that means l haven't a scooby.

As long as l can still invoice l'm not much fussed.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

DevOps has now considered a "folklore" on to itself...

OP ... make sure that you are going genuinely into a "Developer / Operations" environment. I recommend reading up on the start of the movement. Go and look at the Netflix Open Source project blogs and their journey on moving from a Ruby monolith to a micro-services (another buzzwords*).

I would say that modern DevOps is a heavily Agile with a bias shift over to Kanban and traditional ticket based bugfix and user story / task development. Also contemporary DevOps team are supposed to have autonomy on their projects and milestones. Essentially, developers can no longer throw a piece code over the fence and say you, "Ops Team, deal with it. Deploy it. Install it. Configure it." Likewise operations can no longer assert ignorance when they did not know how to configure the software or execute tests against code: "It's not my problem, guv. Talk to the developer team on the second floor". DevOps means you sit together and additionally you sit with quality assurance people inside a team. If there is problem with your code in production, every one of you inside the devops team is liable and you will get SMS alert and/or a telephone call at 3 o'clock in the morning, if all goes ***s up. All of you in DevOps are accountable to the programme development manager or IT director. DevOps changes your outlook on how you build software, you will become more discipline and even cranky with individual who are not performing or collaborating, because you don't want that call late at night. That said, the quality of the software is supposed to be higher than the average, but who is measuring? The Achilles Heel for DeveOps is that the team can be quite insular, lack diversity and approachability and therefore hard for newcomers and therefore it becomes a silo of its own making. A bit like action man commandos every now and then need to be told to let off steam.

*Oh yes, did I mention cloud and distributed computing technology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DevOps
            DevOps at Netflix talks
            https://martinfowler.com/bliki/DevOpsCulture.html
            https://www.infoq.com/news/2015/03/gds-uk-gov-devops

Comment

It's Jumpstart/AI/NIM/xCAT with knobs on.

Comment

devops is dead, faas is the king

Comment

No-ops / ****up as a service is five years away from being ready for anything. If you want to learn about DevOps, get to some meetups (they aren't all in London, and some are online - ooh, how modern!)

Comment

Working...
                  X