• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do you want to become an I.T. contractor? What are your hopes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cos I needed money to live.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Two words. Appraisals, targets.
      This.

Money was also a motivator too. The only way for me to earn more than I was as a permie would have been to side step into project management, or get promoted up to Development Manager, neither of which I had any interest in doing.

Obviously there are some companies out there where you can continue to be promoted and paid more, and stay developing, but they are few and far between where I live.

Comment

The loss of appraisals and BS cuddly stuff for me.

Moved from a lousy perm £20K, just after the year 2000, to a £300 PD contract with Reuters and have never looked back.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Beats working for a living.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Money
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Variety - most of my work was/is project-based, so sitting there supporting something that wasn't going to fall over got boring.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I'm a commitment-phobe and (work-related) money hungry.

Comment

My motivation

In this order....

1) Autonomy
                  2) Variety
                  3) Money

Yes, money was at the bottom of the list. The ability to have more control over my own destiny and being my own boss, which lead onto 2 - the ability to change what I'm doing and the client I'm doing it for every 6 months or so are the two biggest motivators for me. Money is a fairly close third, but TBH, I'd still do it for 1 & 2 even if the money were the same as that of an equivalent permie position as you'll never get the same amount of 1 & 2 in a permie position.

1 & 2 are the (very delicious) cake, and 3 is the icing on the top.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    In this order....

1) Autonomy
                    2) Variety
                    3) Money

Yes, money was at the bottom of the list. The ability to have more control over my own destiny and being my own boss, which lead onto 2 - the ability to change what I'm doing and the client I'm doing it for every 6 months or so are the two biggest motivators for me. Money is a fairly close third, but TBH, I'd still do it for 1 & 2 even if the money were the same as that of an equivalent permie position as you'll never get the same amount of 1 & 2 in a permie position.

1 & 2 are the (very delicious) cake, and 3 is the icing on the top.
                    In reality, do you change client every 6 months? Wouldn't such shortish term gigs put off a client who has a large backlog of work?

I also contract for the flexibility but of late my stints are 1.5+ years. Not complaining mind.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                      In this order....

1) Autonomy
                      2) Variety
                      3) Money
                      4) Trolling Nluk
                      FTFY
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X