• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Checking account advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    My honest advice would be to post on a forum where accountants do visit and see what their advice is (which strangely enough the OP has done)..
    What would your dishonest advice be?
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Why research things? Because it stops you posting things that are wrong (as you may well have done above)..

But at least you've finally admitted that you happily post unchecked tulip as if it was fact...
      I didn't say that, or anything like it. In fact I didn't make any statement at all other than "it looks right but check properly for yourself". Which is what you said. But hey, if it makes you happy.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        So why aren't you listening to them?
        If they are wrong then it could damage my relationship with the client.
        Last edited by Newbie1; 26 February 2017, 22:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie1 View Post
          If they are wrong then it could damage my relationship with the client.
          You are so naive.

If you aren't being paid correctly than your relationship with the client is already damaged.

The pretence that it's the consultancy's fault or the agent's fault or the payroll company's fault is just that.

Ultimately any problems are the client's fault for not sorting out it's supply chain.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You are so naive.
            A bit harsh. He has already described himself as Newbie1. We all started somewhere.

To clarify, they are vat registered in Ireland. My company is vat registered in the uk.

Wording for intra EU invoices regarding VAT. Mine is invoicing from Spain, but adjust accordingly.

Numero IVA intracomunitario Cliente/ EU VAT Customer Number
            FR69532******
            SAS WS* ******
            33 ALL DE C******
            38*** SAINT******

These services are outside the scope of Spanish VAT.
            You may be required to make a reverse charge VAT declaration under Articles 44 and 196 of EU Council Directive 2006/112/EC
            Last edited by clearedforlanding; 27 February 2017, 04:36.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You are so naive.

If you aren't being paid correctly than your relationship with the client is already damaged.

The pretence that it's the consultancy's fault or the agent's fault or the payroll company's fault is just that.

Ultimately any problems are the client's fault for not sorting out it's supply chain.
              Thanks for your keyboard warrior input.

I checked what to do with accountant pre-invoice, was then given opposite information one month later, then was actually correct.

Naive to contracting? I would say yes. To this situation? Hmmmm.

Comment

This is resolved now. Thanks.

I was right...

Comment

Hi,

I am new to contracting but have >20 years perm experience.

I am contracting in Ireland, not close to 183 days, outside of IR35.

I am using a Ltd company and the company I invoice in based and registered in Ireland.

My accountant says I should be invoicing VAT to the Irish company then they claim it back. He said I invoice 20% (VAT is 20% in UK, 23 % in Ireland).

I'm far from an expert in these matters but this does not sound right to me. I would invoice VAT to a company based and registered in the UK only. Currently I have not invoiced them VAT.

Thoughts based on what I have written? If I am right then it looks like I need a new accountant but wanted to double check first.

Thanks,
                  Fire the accountant. He/she is wrong, as long as the client is registered for VAT in Ireland.

What you should be doing is getting the client's VAT id, putting it somewhere on the invoice (such as "Client VAT id IEXXXX"), the text "EU VAT reverse charged to customer" (or somesuch) and zero-rate the VAT.

How do I know? I'm an accountant.

You also need to put the right numbers in the right boxes in the VAT return, and (crucially) file the Intrastat return (eg the EU Sales List) even before the UK VAT return is due.

Alternatively, if you intend to keep contracting in Ireland and spend much time there, set up an Irish company and invoice locally there. That is, in fact, the easier option.

Also see the invoice wording provided by clearedforlanding above. That's universal for intra-EU trade.
                  Last edited by m0n1k3r; 28 February 2017, 00:35.

Comment

Pedantic point: even if your overseas client is not VAT registered in their own country, so long as it is a B2B supply of services then the reverse charge rules still apply. It's not zero rated either, it's outside the scope of UK VAT (important if on the FRS).

If client is not VAT registered then you will need to keep some other evidence that they are a business and that you are making a B2B supply.

Comment

Working...
                    X