• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quit in the probation period to go back to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quit in the probation period to go back to contracting

Hi all,

After several years of contracting I decided to accept a perm offer. Mostly because the market has gone bad and there are very few positions. I thought it’s better to have something than sit home doing nothing.

I hoped the permie thing would work for me, the salary is decent, team is OK. However I don’t enjoy much what I’m doing now. The worst feeling is sitting next to a contractor doing exactly the same job but being paid at least x2 times more than me.

Now I’m approaching the end of my probation period (3 months) and I found a contract position that fits very well into my skills.

If I’m offered the contract, I think I’ll quit the permie job. However, I don’t want to burn any bridges. The sector I work in is quite small and people know each other. How do you think this will reflect on me? Or should I stay a bit longer in the job? But then I’ll be bound by the notice period, which is more than 2 months…

Notice periods of longer than your payment cycle are effectively unenforceable.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
    X