• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Past agency requesting NI number and DOB for HMRC records

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with NLUK.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
      I agree with NLUK.
      To roll over and do whatever an agent tells you?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
        Come on billy. Stop being a trolling pillock. That's not what my thread said at all. Generally you have some modicum of a point but saying that when I clearly gave options in the mail makes you look a little daft.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well said, northerndoormatuk.
          Yeah - you gotta stick it to the man, bro'.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No but it's not always a crap agency doing you over that's asking you. I have learned to only do business with people I would like to do business with again. Personally I have no problem with supplying the details in the OP on the basis that I am easy to do business with and the details being asked for are straightforward especially if the information can be used to keep me compliant and not flag me uncessarily on a report.

There are lots of ir35 audits going on at the moment be wise as to the current mood and to the information you provide as well as don't provide.

Comment

I had an agency tell me I shouldn't worry about the client timesheets, only use theirs. A month after the (first) contract expired the agent called me rather worried - erm... we need the client timesheets, or we won't get paid.
              "Oh that's a shame. You've paid me already."
              Kept him squirming for a bit, then relented. "I got an extension, I'm still working there, and the timesheets I've kept in the drawer of my desk at client site - I'll send them to you on Monday".

Why? In the interests of keeping good business relationships, not causing unnecessary aggro even to an agent, and because I'm better than they are.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well said, northerndoormatuk.
                PLUM.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You aren't stitching yourself up. It's information the agents are legally obliged to collect to fulfill their obligations to the reporting requirements legislation.

The issue here they've royally screwed up and not collected it at the right time so not your problem. You can either supply it and hear nothing further or refuse and see where it goes. I don't know what the rules are about you having to provide this so late after, I expect none so you under no obligation whatsoever to supply. I guess the agent will try give you some earache though.

I'd guess this is up to you. I'd probably ignore it for now but if it starts to get a pain in the ass I'd consider giving them it just to get rid of them and get on.
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Come on billy. Stop being a trolling pillock. That's not what my thread said at all. Generally you have some modicum of a point but saying that when I clearly gave options in the mail makes you look a little daft.
                  If you'd left your original post at just the first two paragraphs, it would have been perfect, but that last paragraph and the "I'd consider giving them it just to get rid of them" remark is exactly the wrong sort of attitude to have, hence my remark about rolling over simply because an agent says so.

This is a situation where, months after the fact, an agency who royally screwed up at the time come chasing you for your information in order to dig themselves out of the sh*t.

My number one consideration in anything in business: Put the shoe on the other foot and consider what would happen. If you had "forgotten" to get your signed timesheet and deliver your last invoice to an agency on a contract you finished 2 years ago, do you think the agency would do anything other than laugh their asses off when you finally remember and phone them up to collect that money all this time later?

Only when agents start acting as caring business professionals and not the bottom-feeding shysters that they are can they expect such co-operation from the contractors that they deal with.

So, I have far more than a "modicum" of a point. I have the whole point, and in this specific case, playing ball with the agent and giving them the information they request shouldn't even be an option on the table for consideration (unless you can bill them for it, of course!)

Comment

If you'd left your original post at just the first two paragraphs, it would have been perfect, but that last paragraph and the "I'd consider giving them it just to get rid of them" remark is exactly the wrong sort of attitude to have, hence my remark about rolling over simply because an agent says so.
                    But I'm not rolling over. I'd be weighing up the time it took to worry about this against the time it took to just give it and have done with it. It isn't rolling over, it's making a decision based on my situation and what's best for me.

This is a situation where, months after the fact, an agency who royally screwed up at the time come chasing you for your information in order to dig themselves out of the sh*t.
                    Indeed but if they keep chasing me and starting ringing and whatever it's impacting on my life. At that point supply and move on.

My number one consideration in anything in business: Put the shoe on the other foot and consider what would happen. If you had "forgotten" to get your signed timesheet and deliver your last invoice to an agency on a contract you finished 2 years ago, do you think the agency would do anything other than laugh their asses off when you finally remember and phone them up to collect that money all this time later?
                    Well I would hope someone would spend all of 10 seconds to supply it and everyone get's on rather than run up against some belligerent idiot that had nothing better to do than grind a pointless axe. You example isn't really a good one as that would take considerably more time that type in some numbers I know off the top of my head.

Only when agents start acting as caring business professionals and not the bottom-feeding shysters that they are can they expect such co-operation from the contractors that they deal with.
                    Fair enough I guess but this one issue won't make a difference to that and I don't see why I should spend a second more on it for some point of principle. I don't care about what they think or do. It's the time and effort it cost me I am bothered about. Some battles are worth fighting, some really aren't.
                    So, I have far more than a "modicum" of a point. I have the whole point, and in this specific case, playing ball with the agent and giving them the information they request shouldn't even be an option on the table for consideration (unless you can bill them for it, of course!)
                    As has been said, feel free to fight the fight brother.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If it takes more effort to complain on here than to provide simple information, then head to mumsnet/DailyFail.
                      I like the idea of offering the information for a fee, but otherwise the "don't tell them your name, Pike" attitude isn't very professional, but is very snowflake.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X