• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is your #1 challenge preventing you from doing contract work in UK right now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    There is a very small window for contracting left in the UK.

I think that the IR35 moves in the Public Sector will move into the private sector come April 2019.

But for those contractors prepared to accept being inside IR35 (increased tax and no expenses) there will still be contracts out there.
    Looking at what is crawling out of the woodwork the last couple of weeks HMRC must feeling like patting themselves on the back and IMO it's.almost guaranteed to come to the Private sector. I knew there would be a bit of an eye opening the people popping up but even I'm shocked.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Looking at what is crawling out of the woodwork the last couple of weeks HMRC must feeling like patting themselves on the back and IMO it's.almost guaranteed to come to the Private sector. I knew there would be a bit of an eye opening the people popping up but even I'm shocked.
      AS eek has said - you can see that this has been planned for years and we're still in the middle of that plan.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm not entirely convinced of that myself.
        They will really struggle to get buy in by the private sector, I have spoken to some very senior people in the finance world that are well clued up with regards to IR35.
        They have suggested there will be a real fight to get this implemented in the private sector.

I can see this all being a total disaster for the PS.
        Once everything starts to go really wrong towards the latter part of next year may prompt a re-think.

Interesting times ahead, in any case
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          AS eek has said - you can see that this has been planned for years and we're still in the middle of that plan.
          IT project goes live in design phase.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            I'm not entirely convinced of that myself.
            They will really struggle to get buy in by the private sector, I have spoken to some very senior people in the finance world that are well clued up with regards to IR35.
            They have suggested there will be a real fight to get this implemented in the private sector.

I can see this all being a total disaster for the PS.
            Once everything starts to go really wrong towards the latter part of next year may prompt a re-think.

Interesting times ahead, in any case
            I know exactly what you are saying and would have said the same but we also said we couldn't see how they could go ahead in the Public Sector and did. I am also shocked at the number of people that are contractors in name only that are suddenly popping up so HMRC have to think they've got this on the nose and can't NOT go ahead in to the private sector.

I'd be inclined to think HMRC might apply it but private sector clients would be much happier to just alter the working conditions to suit which might actually be better for us. Watching the forums recently I just can't see how HMRC don't think they've got it absolutely right (apart from the obvious of course).
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know exactly what you are saying and would have said the same but we also said we couldn't see how they could go ahead in the Public Sector and did. I am also shocked at the number of people that are contractors in name only that are suddenly popping up so HMRC have to think they've got this on the nose and can't NOT go ahead in to the private sector.

I'd be inclined to think HMRC might apply it but private sector clients would be much happier to just alter the working conditions to suit which might actually be better for us. Watching the forums recently I just can't see how HMRC don't think they've got it absolutely right (apart from the obvious of course).
              You mean apart from the mass resignations and opening up the whole of the PS to being "bob-shopped" by cheapness influx, doing the needful for a fraction and seeing more tax disappear to the sub-continent? Yeah, let's watch them realise that £400m
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                Not CEO, but I've come across this twice at MD/programme director level at 2 large banks.

'Mates' in these cases are old colleagues that created system integrating companies who obviously had given backhanders to MD for the business. On a large scale implementation they stick around for years, charge millions and pay off the MDs house(s).

In the end, everyone wins but the shareholders. A few pennies in a pot of gold.
                Yep same experience as me this gentleman's so called mates had minimal to zero technical experience yet were hired on merit by him bypassing HR & given high perm salaries & got about 5 years work out of the bank before they could no longer conceal the issues created by lack of technical experience (trades were failing to be executed on the back end!! this was because all the DBAs were also friends of friends with minimal experience). So the director got the boot (he was asked to resign to avoid any legal issues) & most of his mates went as well within a few weeks. Then this other person managed to job hop between 2 banks taking most of his friends with him and is still to this day hanging on at the 2nd one as he surrounds himself with yes people or close friends who are even prepared to be fired to take any blame away from him as they know he will just rehire them at the next bank!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  You mean apart from the mass resignations and opening up the whole of the PS to being "bob-shopped" by cheapness influx, doing the needful for a fraction and seeing more tax disappear to the sub-continent? Yeah, let's watch them realise that £400m
                  I thought that the big four consultancies would be winners not the subcontinents, unless they are doing business on the subcontinent

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                    I thought that the big four consultancies would be winners not the subcontinents, unless they are doing business on the subcontinent
                    If Wipro, etc somehow get the gigs, all the big money goes back to India; the bob-shoppers over here will be living 10 to a house and on £120 a day tops.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      If Wipro, etc somehow get the gigs, all the big money goes back to India; the bob-shoppers over here will be living 10 to a house and on £120 a day tops.
                      CapGemini used to do the same, they were on £30PD + expenses .
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X