• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    You need a work permit to work in US, simple as.

Why do you think it's ok not to need one? H1B is to allow US companies to employ foreigners to work for them in US.

As a U.K. contractor this is not possible so it's not possible for a foreign contractor to work in the US legally. Same as 99% of the rest of the world.
    An ESTA is fine. He is working for a UK company, based in the UK, but having to go over there on the odd occasion to work with US staff. Happens all the time and perfectly fine.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      You won't be able to work in the US
      You can go to the USA to do "business" you will find it hard to get a visa to go there to "work". What's allowed when you enter to do business but not work is a fine line you need to understand. But lots of things you are allowed to do when entering for business look and feel like work to a lay person.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
        You can go to the USA to do "business" you will find it hard to get a visa to go there to "work". What's allowed when you enter to do business but not work is a fine line you need to understand. But lots of things you are allowed to do when entering for business look and feel like work to a lay person.
        Remember to check all your insurance is valid for business in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          An ESTA is fine. He is working for a UK company, based in the UK, but having to go over there on the odd occasion to work with US staff. Happens all the time and perfectly fine.
          No it isn't. I have multiple US clients and have done for years, so I know this well. Likewise, stek knows what he's talking about. If you aren't a GC holder or a US Citizen, you need an employment visa for "productive" work in the US, with very limited exclusions (such as installing equipment). If you're just meeting with clients, shooting the smeg, listening to presentations, planning, that's fine. If you're sitting down with clients, or working independently on a client site, and doing something productive, such as designing, coding, troubleshooting, training or other "productive" work, you absolutely do need an employment visa, such as an H1B. The VWP or a B-class visa won't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
            Remember to check all your insurance is valid for business in the USA.
            This too (not business in the USA, but business with US clients). Hint: it won't be (PI at least).

Comment

you can go on holiday though

You can go to the states on holiday and work the whole time ...... as long as you are apparently not doing paid work.
              Then get any money due to you as a gift when you get back to the UK.
              Which might raise some questions like ...do I pay tax on it or not and to which country ..if any?

Question is how do some brits (especially celebs, entertainers, bowers, sports people. etc) go over there and stay longer than 3 months whilst working ..... without some playing of the system going on?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                Happens all the time and perfectly fine.
                It may happen frequently, but it's not fine.

You may get away with it, but if you admit to immigration that you are there to do work then you'll be on the next plane home. If you lie to immigration and get caught, then you'll be on the next plane home and you'll never return (legally).

Going for a meeting - fine. Going to do productive work - not fine. The rules are simple, and at the moment I wouldn't want to push anything regarding homeland security with the US.
                First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by socair View Post
                  You can go to the states on holiday and work the whole time ...... as long as you are apparently not doing paid work.
                  Which might raise some questions like ...do I pay tax on it or not and to which country ..if any?

Question is how do some brits (especially celebs, entertainers, bowers, sports people. etc) go over there and stay longer than 3 months whilst working ..... without some playing of the system going on?

There are special visas for those with a large amount of savings here and in the USA, there are also special visa rules for traveling entertainers.

Comment

Originally posted by socair View Post

Entertainment/Sportsman Visa - UK has similar.

Work is work, paid or unpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      OK, so now we understand the question properly, V8's advice is quite right. However, it should also be obvious that you make sure this is agreed up front and the boundaries of what is and isn't covered is in your contract and/or schedule.

Big difference of being a contractor is if it goes wrong, it's up to you to sort it out. The more you can do to ensure it doesn't go wrong, especially through simple misunderstandings, is time well spent.
                      I understood what OP was asking - wasn't that difficult a question ??

Comment

Working...
                      X