• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    To do what in USA?
    Work with the companies US based employees.

Comment

Originally posted by kh64 View Post
      Work with the companies US based employees.
      But you will have no work permit...

Are you a US citizen or GC holder?

Comment

But you will have no work permit...

Are you a US citizen or GC holder?
        Its a UK company, the role is based in the UK, I'm a Brit with a British passport.
        H1B only applies to US companies employing people outside of the US, no? I've only ever needed an ESTA in the past to visit the US for work purposes (and that includes US companies).

Comment

OK, so now we understand the question properly, V8's advice is quite right. However, it should also be obvious that you make sure this is agreed up front and the boundaries of what is and isn't covered is in your contract and/or schedule.

Big difference of being a contractor is if it goes wrong, it's up to you to sort it out. The more you can do to ensure it doesn't go wrong, especially through simple misunderstandings, is time well spent.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Cheers all, good advice.

Definitely to be all sorted out, but only an interview for now as I say.

Comment

Its a UK company, the role is based in the UK, I'm a Brit with a British passport.
              H1B only applies to US companies employing people outside of the US, no? I've only ever needed an ESTA in the past to visit the US for work purposes (and that includes US companies).
              You need a work permit to work in US, simple as.

Why do you think it's ok not to need one? H1B is to allow US companies to employ foreigners to work for them in US.

As a U.K. contractor this is not possible so it's not possible for a foreign contractor to work in the US legally. Same as 99% of the rest of the world.

Comment

You need a work permit to work in US, simple as.

Why do you think it's ok not to need one? H1B is to allow US companies to employ foreigners to work for them in US.

As a U.K. contractor this is not possible so it's not possible for a foreign contractor to work in the US legally. Same as 99% of the rest of the world.
                Because it's not a US company.
                I've been to the US 30 odd times before and neither I or the company have had to complete anything more than an ESTA.

Comment

Because it's not a US company.
                  I've been to the US 30 odd times before and neither I or the company have had to complete anything more than an ESTA.
                  Then they'd be wrong.

Work is work and not allowed on visa waiver, suggest you visit the US INS webpages.

Work equals tax liability too, think about that. How do you pay the tax due to the IRS?

Comment

"If you wish to work in the United States for a temporary period you will require a nonimmigrant work visa. You cannot work on a visitor or business visa, or under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Unlike some countries, the United States government does not issue work visas for casual employment. In general, work visas are based on a specific offer of employment. In most cases, a petition must be filed and approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before applying for the visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate."

Comment

All hypothetical at the moment anyway as its only an interview.

Cheers for your help. I'll make sure I cover this off definitively, should I progress.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X