• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changes in Flat Rate Tax Scheme 1/4/17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    Seriously, wouldn't you be OK selling the £1000 item for say £300 plus vat. This way you shouldn't have any trouble making the sale and you still make a 300 pound profit after tax?

Or am I misunderstanding the system?
    I think you understood it correctly. Ignore everybody else. I am more than happy to assist you in your scheme. But why stop at £1000?

You should buy, say, a £30,000 car and sell it to me for £9000 + VAT. Instant £9000 profit for you.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
      I thought that if you do it right, you spend a thousand, save a thousand in tax, then sell for three hundred, giving you a sweet 300 quid profit?

You make money, your customer gets a good deal, your enemies miss out on the extra tax. What's not to like?
      I think what hb is getting at:

In the context of the FRS.

You buy your 2K of 'stuff' and sell it for £600. Your loss is £1400.

On the FRS, 100K turnover

100*1.2 * .165 = 19.8

100*1.2 * .145 = 17.4

Difference 2.4K, so you're 1K "up" on not buying and selling your goods at a loss.

But if 1K is that important, then you're probably NCOTBAC.
      Last edited by teapot418; 20 February 2017, 23:08.

Comment

I'd be interested to know if anyone is switching away from the flat rate scheme in light of these changes.

As you'll now be claiming 20p back for every £100 your invoice instead of £2.60

I suspect I can make more of a saving from my purchases than I can save on this scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
          I think what hb is getting at:

In the context of the FRS.

You buy your 2K of 'stuff' and sell it for £600. Your loss is £1400.

On the FRS, 100K turnover

100*1.2 * .165 = 19.8

100*1.2 * .145 = 17.4

Difference 2.4K, so you're 1K "up" on not buying and selling your goods at a loss.

But if 1K is that important, then you're probably NCOTBAC.
          and this is likely to be caught by the GAAR rules https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ti-abuse-rules
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            and this is likely to be caught by the GAAR rules https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ti-abuse-rules
            According to that link GAAR does not apply to VAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              I don't think it would, however I don't think HMRC need any special legislation to try and tackle these blatant workarounds - for purchases to count they need to be wholly and exclusively for business purposes and it wouldn't be hard IMO for HMRC to challenge these arrangements on that basis.

I'm sure we'll know more after the budget when I expect the final legislation will be published.

Comment

Originally posted by Potato View Post
                I'd be interested to know if anyone is switching away from the flat rate scheme in light of these changes.
                I have already switched due to how my VAT quarters are aligned.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tell me the flaw in this plan please

Hi,

I can't stand the thought of handing over an extra 4K.

So 160k turnover at 14% = 22.4k

turns into 160K turnover at 16.5% = 26.4k

Difference in my pocket (obvs less corp tax is 4K)

I have virtually no input vat that i can think of, so i'm not going to be recouping this 4K hit by moving onto the standard method.

If I buy 3.2K worth of software then I hit the 2% vatable expenses and at least I've received some benefit from the change. I'm thinking that software training packages to skill up can be wholly and exclusively part of the business? i think it would count as relevant goods and i believe its vatable?

is there a flaw in this?

Comment

Originally posted by MeMeMe1966 View Post
                    Hi,

I can't stand the thought of handing over an extra 4K.

So 160k turnover at 14% = 22.4k

turns into 160K turnover at 16.5% = 26.4k

Difference in my pocket (obvs less corp tax is 4K)

I have virtually no input vat that i can think of, so i'm not going to be recouping this 4K hit by moving onto the standard method.

If I buy 3.2K worth of software then I hit the 2% vatable expenses and at least I've received some benefit from the change. I'm thinking that software training packages to skill up can be wholly and exclusively part of the business? i think it would count as relevant goods and i believe its vatable?

is there a flaw in this?
                    Training is services not goods.

The VAT man has a fraud department so I wouldn't try it.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Training is services not goods.

The VAT man has a fraud department so I wouldn't try it.
                      And again people wonder why people we are tax avoiding scum
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X