• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post-termination clauses enforceable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-termination clauses enforceable?

So clientco has decided it wants all contractors to come through one agency, and this agency have failed to persuade my agent to let them "take over their contracts". So I've been told I'm terminated at the end of the month. I'm expecting said new agency to approach me shortly with a shiny new contract, but of course my existing contract states that I can't work for this client again for the next six months after termination. How enforceable is that in reality? I expect existing agency will, quite rightly, be keeping an eye on what happens next.

What grounds are the client getting rid of your agency?

In theory the agent can try and sue but if the reason the agency has been dropped due to some contract breach they won't bother.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You'll be fine - your existing agent is no longer in a position to offer you that piece of work. The clause is about demonstrable loss; if they cannot demonstrate that they could have placed you (which they can't if new agent is the only one on the PSL), then you've nothing to worry about. Best to confirm with client directly though, with particular mention to the handcuff clause.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        What grounds are the client getting rid of your agency?

In theory the agent can try and sue but if the reason the agency has been dropped due to some contract breach they won't bother.
        As far as I can tell, it's literally just that they want all contracting done through one agency now. I suspect I may even be the ONLY contractor here through my agency, but I don't really know.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          You'll be fine - your existing agent is no longer in a position to offer you that piece of work. The clause is about demonstrable loss; if they cannot demonstrate that they could have placed you (which they can't if new agent is the only one on the PSL), then you've nothing to worry about. Best to confirm with client directly though, with particular mention to the handcuff clause.
          Ah that's an interesting angle, yes. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by riffpie View Post
            As far as I can tell, it's literally just that they want all contracting done through one agency now. I suspect I may even be the ONLY contractor here through my agency, but I don't really know.

Then it depends on the contract between the agency and the client and the size of each party.

If the agency is small and the client large, or of equal size the agency will be told to feck off.

If other way round the client will drop you out of fear.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by riffpie View Post
              Ah that's an interesting angle, yes. Thanks.
              Not really an angle. It's the legal situation so a slam dunk for you. The exiting agent may still argue with the client wanting to buy you out but that's not your problem and they may get shirty with you but ignore it. They don't have a leg to stand on and from what you say it would be bloody stupid to try it on out-of spite.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Then it depends on the contract between the agency and the client and the size of each party.

If the agency is small and the client large, or of equal size the agency will be told to feck off.

If other way round the client will drop you out of fear.
                My agency is the little guy, I'm guessing they aren't up for this fight, especially if, as I think, I'm their only placement here.

Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like there's little to worry about.

Comment

Don't forget that rate uplift negotiation as well. If you were the only.one they had I imagine they will have quite a high margin on you. If they are moving to a single supplier they should be taking less due to scale of quantity. Could work out nice for you.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Don't forget that rate uplift negotiation as well. If you were the only.one they had I imagine they will have quite a high margin on you. If they are moving to a single supplier they should be taking less due to scale of quantity. Could work out nice for you.
                    I know exactly what the margin is, and it's pretty high. I've already hinted at a rate rise to the new guys but they didn't bite. This was all when they assumed this would go smoothly of course. Now that my hiring manager is panicking at the thought of losing me early, they'll be under a bit of pressure to retain me. Hopefully that's my next holiday paid for then

Comment

Working...
                    X