• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract extension not signed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract extension not signed

Hi. Currently in the last week of a 3 month contract with a direct startup client who much like many other clients doesn't quite get the contractor / client relationship. All has gone well so far except that 3 weeks ago we verbally agreed a 6 month extension but the fresh document has been sat on his desk and despite several prompts by email and verbally he says he's not got round to looking at it.

I explained that the only change is the revised end date and today I mentioned that after Friday I will not be insured to attend the office premises.

I don't believe he intends to not sign but I can only imagine his reaction if I don't show up next Monday. He's new to being a boss of staff or in my case a client of a freelance contractor so my question is simply can I turn up next Monday if he still hasn't put pen to paper by then?

Originally posted by ckms View Post
    Hi. Currently in the last week of a 3 month contract with a direct startup client who much like many other clients doesn't quite get the contractor / client relationship. All has gone well so far except that 3 weeks ago we verbally agreed a 6 month extension but the fresh document has been sat on his desk and despite several prompts by email and verbally he says he's not got round to looking at it.

I explained that the only change is the revised end date and today I mentioned that after Friday I will not be insured to attend the office premises.

I don't believe he intends to not sign but I can only imagine his reaction if I don't show up next Monday. He's new to being a boss of staff or in my case a client of a freelance contractor so my question is simply can I turn up next Monday if he still hasn't put pen to paper by then?
    Keep chasing him daily and also ask him who you should be handing your work over to when you finish on Fri.

Comment

You would be silly to do so but it's a bit hypothetical. Do what Kaiser says and it should work. If he's new he might need a bit of educating.

When you do mention you won't be in on Monday without it make sure you've got a pen in your hand.

Startups are notorious for not paying and the like. I wouldn't like to be in there without a contract when he decides he's had enough and decides he wants to get rid of you on the spot and not pay.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 13 February 2017, 20:50.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ckms View Post
        my question is simply can I turn up next Monday if he still hasn't put pen to paper by then?
        IMO you probably can but if you're convinced he definitely wants to keep you, I wouldn't - you'll set a precedent and he'll know you're willing to work without a contract

If you don't turn up, he'll either
        a) poo himself and get it signed and scanned over to you by lunch time Monday
        b) shrug his shoulders and find someone else

if you're confident it will be a), don't turn up without a signed extension

Comment

Like the 'grandfather of the house' NLUK has stated pop round on the Friday with a pen and query if said hipster could maybe find time inbetween combing his beard and deciding which cereal he wants to pay a tenner for otherwise don't come in on Monday and pop into Asda for their unemployed 2 quid breakfast, it's a win win!

Comment

Working...
          X