• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

technical background / previous devs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And in a DevOps world reskilling is absolutely necessary.

Devs need to know infrastructure. Ops need to code (or script). If you're on one side of the fence, learning about the other side will get you that gig if you you're up against someone who doesn't.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by bubbles View Post
      I see you're point but I'm not looking to move to a senior PM and I've seen a lot of PMs do many technical errors actually which I feel I can contribute to as I have that tech background.
      I was just pointing out that a "typical" Project manager contract will be expecting someone who would be considered a senior PM level in a permie role, or have PM'd in contracts for a long time.

Yes, you might be able to get into a junior PM role (or Product manager, whatever), but they will be low rates, and lots of people going for them.

A sideways step can be done in contracting, but it will take a lot of luck, and your chances of success will be a lot lower than if you try and make the change will in a large company as a permie.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbles View Post
        cheers, was this all contracts?

how did you mention on your CV that you had to do those elements in your current role as it was not a huge business. This is what I'm finding hard to explain - especially to recruiters that just look at titles.
        The key is to start with BA roles that involve some PM elements rather than looking directly for a PM role. Eventually you'll be able to transition across multiple roles easily enough; that said, if you're doing truly Agile projects, you would need to get into scrum management rather than project management instead.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          I was just pointing out that a "typical" Project manager contract will be expecting someone who would be considered a senior PM level in a permie role, or have PM'd in contracts for a long time.

Yes, you might be able to get into a junior PM role (or Product manager, whatever), but they will be low rates, and lots of people going for them.

A sideways step can be done in contracting, but it will take a lot of luck, and your chances of success will be a lot lower than if you try and make the change will in a large company as a permie.
          My current client and my last client have lots of permie staff who have stepped sideways e.g. senior developer who is PM, testers to developers, testers to BA. They are a large company and a medium size company. It's cheaper and easier for them to get current staff skilled up then to find someone from outside who doesn't know the business.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
            What happens when the reference comes back from the previous client with a different title to the one you said that you were doing?
            How often are your referenced?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Well if you work in financial or SC environments it could be quite a lot. It's just another thing to consider albeit a small issue for most of us.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My current client and my last client have lots of permie staff who have stepped sideways e.g. senior developer who is PM, testers to developers, testers to BA. They are a large company and a medium size company. It's cheaper and easier for them to get current staff skilled up then to find someone from outside who doesn't know the business.
                +1

Plenty of training courses available to keep staff happy without giving them too many payrises.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Well if you work in financial or SC environments it could be quite a lot. It's just another thing to consider albeit a small issue for most of us.
                  My references have never checked my last role titles.

Comment

My references have never checked my last role titles.
                    I don't doubt it but when you start buggering about faking titles it's always a risk somewhere down the line.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm currently keeping an eye to see what comes up, either perm or contract whatever the rate might try it out and see. Just have to wait till this dev contract comes to an end and take it from there.

I've had one reference check that I know about only. But as others have said it is risky, especially if you're caught then they'll start questioning everything.

My biggest gripe about titles is that recruiters don't have an idea how it is out there in the field and just use titles and nothing else. They are a pain in the arse.

Does anyone else have their recruiters selling every one of their clients as UKs top leading company "blah blah" and turns out it's a tulipty little agency? They really get annoying sometimes....then they start selling the "I've got a list of jobs that I'll send over" yeah mate ok.

Just found out that this recruitment agency I was dealing with also has terrible reviews on google - senitor recruitment. Steer clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X