• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

technical background / previous devs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by munkee View Post
    I moved from dev to ba to solution architecture. In all honesty the transitions were not hard due to the development environment I was in before. You had to do elements of these roles as we weren't a huge business to support a full change team.

I did BA training through bcs and spent 3 years applying that before moving into architecture. I feel having a dev background allows you to understand the finer details of requirements elicitation whilst also giving a business perspective around it.
    Thanks will also look into BA as it seems like many dev have done this although I'm more interested in product management....how to improve the product etc. but this seems like the most viable options.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbles View Post
      Thanks will also look into BA as it seems like many dev have done this although I'm more interested in product management....how to improve the product etc. but this seems like the most viable options.
      The only dev I know who got into product management went perm. He did it for a lot of money though. He's also certified and acted as a scrum master.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The only dev I know who got into product management went perm. He did it for a lot of money though. He's also certified and acted as a scrum master.
        great to hear a success story ... I too am certified and been a scrum master. Yet it's just not happening (even for little money lol)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Went perm, got certified. Nuff said.

Certificates help but only in permie world to show that you've a semblance of ambition to your next prospective employer.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I moved from a development background to be an Scrum Master then an Agile Coach. I did most of it while being perm.

I've worked with / interviewed a lot chancers who think they can be a BA/PM/SM. Unless you've actually done the role then you will probably underestimate what the role requires and what you have to do or you'll probably do it badly. Everyone thinks they can do someone else's job better.

If you're very good then yes you can do it - if you have an interest in doing a role then I would go back to being a perm and learn to do it properly in lots of companies.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
              I've worked with / interviewed a lot chancers who think they can be a BA/PM/SM. Unless you've actually done the role then you will probably underestimate what the role requires and what you have to do or you'll probably do it badly. Everyone thinks they can do someone else's job better.
              Absolutely this. Whenever I see a CV or Linkedin profile that mentions all these terms, and usually with PMO as well my default assumption is they aren't very good at any. I've met people that can actually nail each better than a dedicated person but they have been very few and far between. In most cases they are just pretty average.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Went perm, got certified. Nuff said.

Certificates help but only in permie world to show that you've a semblance of ambition to your next prospective employer.
                No he was a scrum master as a contractor. Every person I know who has acted as a scrum master as a contractor has eventually got certified. (And a lot of people who have done it a few times refuse to do it again.)

Anyway he used his soft skills from that to help get the perm product management job.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                  I moved from a development background to be an Scrum Master then an Agile Coach. I did most of it while being perm.

If you're very good then yes you can do it - if you have an interest in doing a role then I would go back to being a perm and learn to do it properly in lots of companies.
                  For a bit of balance, clients are partially to blame for this too.

I have seen people ask to have "multiple hats" on, and as the client is alway right it's just expanded from there
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    For a bit of balance, clients are partially to blame for this too.

I have seen people ask to have "multiple hats" on, and as the client is alway right it's just expanded from there
                    Haha this - I'm doing more dev at this client than agile stuff

Comment

Working...
                    X