• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Increased notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increased notice period?

Anyone else had this happen? Mine has been bumped from one to four weeks. I guess recent departures have got people worried. It's not PS btw.

If you don't like the change, don't sign the contract.

That's what I did when one agency tried to change the contract.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Have you signed anything?

Personally, I don't like to have anything longer than a week.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Have you signed anything?

Personally, I don't like to have anything longer than a week.
        I'm halfway through the contract so I'm not sure I'll even get anything to sign.

Comment

Originally posted by westtester View Post
          I'm halfway through the contract so I'm not sure I'll even get anything to sign.
          Well, you would need to have something to sign for them to make a change of this nature?
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

In that case, they can't change the contract now.

To change the contract they need to (a) offer new paperwork; and (b) offer some form of payment in return for the change (eg my client wanted to change the terms on their standard PO and offered me £1 in return; HMG offers £1 in return for you being listed to provide services under digital outcomes etc.)

So you are bound by the current contract. Anything else is just talk.
            First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Notice periods are for permies They can still effectively walk you on the spot if they want to and there is still the possibility of either using a sub or negotiating your way out if you need to. Only possibilities though, not saying it will go like that.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Notice periods are for permies They can still effectively walk you on the spot if they want to.
                Correct, however, in this instance, I believe he is talking about on his side.

Currently a week, the client wants to increase to 4.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Correct, however, in this instance, I believe he is talking about on his side.

Currently a week, the client wants to increase to 4.
                  Indeed. I've expressed the wish that I'd rather not alter the notice period so we'll see what they say.

Comment

Indeed. I've expressed the wish that I'd rather not alter the notice period so we'll see what they say.
                    I wouldn't be causing too much of a fuss or canning gigs for a change in notice period bearing in mind how useless they are etc...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X