• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Increased notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I'd add after recent experiences. Think carefully abiout no notice. You might think "I'll never leave anyway" or "if worse comes to the worse client will let me go anyway"....

1) You never know what will happen in life with things such as family illnesses etc. If you've got a notice period, even if normally you'd never use it, makes things easier.

2) Don't rely on clients being "human". You may well get a client manager who won't care about your personal situation at all as long as his project is finished.

For me, I had all of these problems, trying to escape a gig when I gig close to home came up (which I needed to take because of family illness). Fortunately, the family thing was sorted (And the local gig fell through) but it did highlight a few issues.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      One thing I'd add after recent experiences. Think carefully abiout no notice. You might think "I'll never leave anyway" or "if worse comes to the worse client will let me go anyway"....

1) You never know what will happen in life with things such as family illnesses etc. If you've got a notice period, even if normally you'd never use it, makes things easier.

2) Don't rely on clients being "human". You may well get a client manager who won't care about your personal situation at all as long as his project is finished.

For me, I had all of these problems, trying to escape a gig when I gig close to home came up (which I needed to take because of family illness). Fortunately, the family thing was sorted (And the local gig fell through) but it did highlight a few issues.
      Outstanding story Bro.

Totally irrelevant as he was talking about an increased notice period, not no notice.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If they don't want you to leave and are wanting to renegotiate your contract why not ask for some money for having a longer notice period?

Comment

I was offered a long extension in lieu of a rate rise, although as we all know your contract is only ever as long as your notice period. Happy with that in uncertain times, but having to switch teams as the client doesn't want too many contractors working in the same area. It's an odd project this one.

Comment

Originally posted by westtester View Post
            I was offered a long extension in lieu of a rate rise, although as we all know your contract is only ever as long as your notice period. Happy with that in uncertain times, but having to switch teams as the client doesn't want too many contractors working in the same area. It's an odd project this one.
            It's got some odd contractors on it as well it appears....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It's got some odd contractors on it as well it appears....
              Yeah, you're probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by westtester View Post
                Yeah, you're probably right.
                Happy with a long contract in lieu of a rate rise. That old cookie. I can't believe people think like that.

Comment

Happy with a long contract in lieu of a rate rise. That old cookie. I can't believe people think like that.
                  When, in reality, the contract will run as long as the budget is there to support it...
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    When, in reality, the contract will run as long as the budget is there to support it...
                    Even worse if there is an agent involved and the agent is committing further ahead than they've got commitment from the client. In that situation the longer extension is absolutely worthless. Agents must laugh their tits off when they pull this one.

Comment

Even worse if there is an agent involved and the agent is committing further ahead than they've got commitment from the client. In that situation the longer extension is absolutely worthless. Agents must laugh their tits off when they pull this one.
                      I've had a client, in the past, where I signed a contract for three months.

After two months dot, I was told that they had "Run out of money and today will be your last day"
                      The agent was oblivious in this instance.

Luckily the MI head there, put me on another project with a new 3 month contract for the fraud area, which was quite frankly turned out to be one of the best to work in.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X