• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing business in USA, explaining it Americans.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing business in USA, explaining it Americans.

I am looking to offer business in the states, 1-2 weeks of corporate training, how do I go about explaining it at the airport security. Ie to tell them I am doing business there, not going to work in the states.

I guess I need to read https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exporting-to-the-usa and
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ness-in-the-us
    any other good reads?

Are you a US citizen, a GC holder or do you otherwise have an employment visa? If your answer to all of those things is no then, strictly, you cannot, because training is "productive" work, and you cannot do it under the VWP. If your question is about how best to lie, my advice would be, don't do it. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Are you a US citizen, a GC holder or do you otherwise have an employment visa? If your answer to all of those things is no then, strictly, you cannot, because training is "productive" work, and you cannot do it under the VWP. If your question is about how best to lie, my advice would be, don't do it. YMMV.
      I can't do training in America, what is special about productive work? How many foreign visitors do we have in London training us theses days? I would imagine it's a lot? What the difference between My coming selling a training product and me going over there to deliver it and normal sales to the USA?

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
        I can't do training in America
        You can attend a training course. You cannot deliver one.

what is special about productive work?
        That is what is on the visa restrictions from US Homeland Security.

How many foreign visitors do we have in London training us theses days? I would imagine it's a lot?
        Possibly more than a few. But that has no relevance to you working in America. How many people are training in Australia? Malaysia? Timbuktu? All of these might be interesting statistics, but they are irrelevant.

What the difference between My coming selling a training product and me going over there to deliver it and normal sales to the USA?
        None as far as the visa programme is concerned - you need a business visa to do business. Apply for one and do it properly, or lie to immigration and hope you never get caught. It's your decision.
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Thanks, time to google business visa then, I assume Donald will make it easy for us Brits now...

Comment

Thanks, time to google business visa then, I assume Donald will make it easy for us Brits now...
            I'm not aware of a category of business visa that will allow you to do this either. For example, the terms of a B class visa are the same as those for the VWP (they are used by people that don't qualify for the VWP), i.e. no productive work. Notwithstanding some explicit exceptions (e.g. installation of equipment), you'll need an employment visa if you want to engage in an activity that's similar to employment.

Comment

I'm not aware of a category of business visa that will allow you to do this either. For example, the terms of a B class visa are the same as those for the VWP (they are used by people that don't qualify for the VWP), i.e. no productive work. Notwithstanding some explicit exceptions (e.g. installation of equipment), you'll need an employment visa if you want to engage in an activity that's similar to employment.
              What about microconsulting? ie they book a slot for me to do remote consulting for a few hours?

Surely they market isn't that tight for IT experts?

Comment

What about microconsulting? ie they book a slot for me to do remote consulting for a few hours?

Surely they market isn't that tight for IT experts?
                You mean work remotely from the UK for a US client? Sure, fill yer boots.

Comment

You mean work remotely from the UK for a US client? Sure, fill yer boots.
                  How is that different from actually doing the work on site in the USA?

Comment

How is that different from actually doing the work on site in the USA?
                    Er, I'm going to assume that you're taking the piss.

Comment

Working...
                    X