• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anybody else just sick of contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
    put my CV on CW jobs 3 days again and Wham!
    Working with Andrew Ridgely?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      That said I've been working away from home for over 2 years now... I know full well there are guys travelling up to do a similar role in Manchester and we probably pass each other on the M1 on Sundays and Fridays.
      Southernladuk, then. I can smell the shandy on yer shirt..
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Southernladuk, then. I can smell the shandy on yer shirt..

I like to think it more of a going on a crusade spreading Yorkshire culture to the ignorant and uninitiated.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I like to think it more of a going on a crusade spreading Yorkshire culture to the ignorant and uninitiated.
          No thanks.

Your beer is good but so is most British beer. (Hipster stuff and some weird Welsh stuff definitely excluded.)
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            No thanks.

Your beer is good but so is most British beer. (Hipster stuff and some weird Welsh stuff definitely excluded.)
            Says a man who lives in a place that was once part of Lancashire.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Says a man who lives in a place that was once part of Lancashire.
              Wrong person.

I'm female.

I have NEVER lived in Yorkshire ever. I may have visited for work and pleasure.

Incidentally it use to be fun going to beer festivals as guys used to be confused by women drinking ale. It was even more amusing when the uni students turned up, found cider and perry was sold and it was stronger than the pub.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Wrong person.

I'm female.

I have NEVER lived in Yorkshire ever. I may have visited for work and pleasure.

Incidentally it use to be fun going to beer festivals as guys used to be confused by women drinking ale. It was even more amusing when the uni students turned up, found cider and perry was sold and it was stronger than the pub.
                Blooming mobile. My comment was aimed at m(anchester)luk
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Wrong person.

I'm female.

I have NEVER lived in Yorkshire ever.
                  Still living in denial, eh, Frank.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                    As I have often been told by contractors when I've been on the buying side:

"I just want a job."

It still baffles me. Then they should get a job, not being a contractor.
                    Problem is the money in permanent jobs hasn't really gone up in the last 15 or so years (although that is fairly much the same in most industries so isn't exclusive to IT).

I turned down a permanent job before Christmas and was phoned about another one, both of which haven't been filled. Companies just don't want to make it worthwhile for people to go permanent somewhere, hence the rise of the permietractor.

Comment

If you have had enough and you have got enough then it's time to bail I reckon.

I am in a similar boat - I find the work incredibly dull but I am convinced I couldn't find any job in IT anything but dull. I just can't find anything I really want to do that will pay me anything like this much.
                      So - I will stay on the treadmill and plot my FIRE escape.
                      I am planning to take the summer off and hope this will recharge the batteries and maybe even make me miss work enough to want to go back (I do generally enjoy the interaction with colleagues etc)
                      I have put myself in the position to do this with little impact, I would advise everyone to do the same. You might feel like you want to just keep working forever but it can become a grind quite quickly and it's great if you have given yourself the choice of bailing.

Comment

Working...
                      X