• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to structure and run a new consultancy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
    That will go down well, with one of the contractors at least.
    It it was my spouse, going down well wouldn't be a problem at all.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

the only time I've seen anything like this work is when each person has very different skills.
      EG. A techie, a salesman and a PM. The salesman will never do billable work and the other 2 have to accept that their work is paying for him.
      As other have said, the reason it doesn't work and usually fails is over sharing of workload and cash.

You'd also need some very good legal documentation and seriously consider what each of you want to achieve long term. I imagine you've not thought much further ahead than the next 6 months when 6 years is the minimum sort of timeline for an agreed plan.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        the only time I've seen anything like this work is when each person has very different skills.
        EG. A techie, a salesman and a PM. The salesman will never do billable work and the other 2 have to accept that their work is paying for him.
        As other have said, the reason it doesn't work and usually fails is over sharing of workload and cash.

You'd also need some very good legal documentation and seriously consider what each of you want to achieve long term. I imagine you've not thought much further ahead than the next 6 months when 6 years is the minimum sort of timeline for an agreed plan.
        It sounds like they're using it as a vehicle to enable the business that they've near enough secured (hence no salesman needed). Legal documentation is a must, but if the company is simply an entity through which they have to operate, then they don't need a salesperson - it's still a case of discussing the proposal with an accountant to establish what the simplest and/or best options are.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          It sounds like they're using it as a vehicle to enable the business that they've near enough secured (hence no salesman needed). Legal documentation is a must, but if the company is simply an entity through which they have to operate, then they don't need a salesperson - it's still a case of discussing the proposal with an accountant to establish what the simplest and/or best options are.
          Businesses who rely on one client end up going bust.

I learnt that temping in an import/export department just out of university.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Deja-vu all over again

I feel I've seen this question before

Always good to get a second opinion

Comment

Just use A B And C shares and declare dividends according to how much each of you bills the client, less some agreed amount to pay the accountant etc.

As long as you can charge at consultancy rates you'll have twice as much money anyway, so no point in bickering about the pennies

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                Just use A B And C shares and declare dividends according to how much each of you bills the client, less some agreed amount to pay the accountant etc.

As long as you can charge at consultancy rates you'll have twice as much money anyway, so no point in bickering about the pennies
                Riiiight.. So his current client that pay for them already are going to engage them on twice as much to carry on working for them with no business offering except to fill some more seats up with bums.... Right on.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I'd say that it's the other way around, the dev guys have to accept that without the sales guy they have no money coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                    I'd say that it's the other way around, the dev guys have to accept that without the sales guy they have no money coming in.
                    Yep, the technical solution / people can be smarter than feck, but without any marketing, strategy and sales man you are going nowhere fast.

Lets just say I have an insight to what someone else is involved in and sometimes has my input too

I should add this is in the context of actually growing a business, not just getting a few BOS in a couple of places (got the T shirt for that one somewhere).
                    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 2 February 2017, 19:34.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                      I've been to some entrepreneur networking groups. There are some brilliant IT ideas out there but you will never have heard of them as for some reason some people in IT don't understand the importance of marketing and sales.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X