• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert- is it worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert- is it worth it?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out whether this certification would be helpful to have on my CV, as I work with sequel on a daily basis. Has anyone taken it and is it useful to have?

Originally posted by skysies View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out whether this certification would be helpful to have on my CV, as I work with sequel on a daily basis. Has anyone taken it and is it useful to have?
    Not much at all - your experience and achievements count far more as a contractor. Certificates are for permies.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Your mum would be very proud though.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Not much at all - your experience and achievements count far more as a contractor. Certificates are for permies.
        When are you bringing all of your framed IT certs in to show us all
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          When are you bringing all of your framed IT certs in to show us all
          I had to burn them as part of my contractor initiation.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
            OCE is unlikely to have any significant impact on your ability to sell yourself - and if you do not opt out of the agency regulations then you will be asked to produce the certificate / results page for any qualification that you claim to have.

That said, it can be a good talking point, and taking the Expert level is significantly worth more than an OCA or even OCP qualification and you do learn doing it. I have (at various times, in various technologies) been an OCA, OCP and OCE (at one stage, I was the only certified expert in the country for one technology) - I don't think that they ever made much difference in getting work though.

OCM would be a good one to get and might make a difference, but that is obviously harder than just rocking up to Pearson's and taking the test online.
            First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              I had to burn them as part of my contractor initiation.
              I'm unsure if your advanced certificate in ZX81 programming would carry the weight it used to, in any case
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                I'm unsure if your advanced certificate in ZX81 programming would carry the weight it used to, in any case
                It was ZX Spectrum BASIC. I'm nowhere near as old as you.

Anyway, I'll cease and desist, given that this isn't General.

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                  OCE is unlikely to have any significant impact on your ability to sell yourself - and if you do not opt out of the agency regulations then you will be asked to produce the certificate / results page for any qualification that you claim to have.

That said, it can be a good talking point, and taking the Expert level is significantly worth more than an OCA or even OCP qualification and you do learn doing it. I have (at various times, in various technologies) been an OCA, OCP and OCE (at one stage, I was the only certified expert in the country for one technology) - I don't think that they ever made much difference in getting work though.

OCM would be a good one to get and might make a difference, but that is obviously harder than just rocking up to Pearson's and taking the test online.
                  Ok, didn't clarify it probably. I'm an analyst, not a developer. I see few in my circle have good grasp of SQL. What SQL certificate would be good to have for a BA?

Comment

Well I used to think certs are for permies until I was turned down for a couple of roles for not holding a valid CCNA. Hiring managers wouldnt even consider a chat without one - even though I had expired CCNA/CCNP/CCIESec written exams!

If you are bored then take it - its just another word matching exercise for the agents to earn their money but it might get your name infront of the end client if they have listed it as a requirement

Comment

Working...
                    X