• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geneva tax 40 percent ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geneva tax 40 percent ?

An agent told me that for a temp employment in Geneva, they will withhold 40 % of the rate.. this is via the agency employing me as a temp employee so I am wondering how much of that 40 % is a hidden management fee that the agency surely is charging me for the privilege to employ me.

They also say that in Zurich the total withholding is 32 % so again the actual tax/socials is likely less than 32 %.

Aren't you a europetractor so should be telling us?

Is there a question somewhere there that google wouldn't help with?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds about right. They withhold tax, unemployment insurance and pension contributions. Geneva I think has relatively high tax rates. In Zürich my retention rate was approx 65% and that didn't include the agency margin. I would ask them a breakdown of their calculations. Age does play a role as pension contributions as a percentage rise as you get older.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Sounds about right. They withhold tax, unemployment insurance and pension contributions. Geneva I think has relatively high tax rates. In Zürich my retention rate was approx 65% and that didn't include the agency margin. I would ask them a breakdown of their calculations. Age does play a role as pension contributions as a percentage rise as you get older.
        I know it sounds about right. It is one of the big recruitment agencies .. but I was thinking if they are doing some mumbo-jumbo I may wanna make sure I don't miss on any extra action. Anyway it was just pre-interview talk ..

Comment

Originally posted by europetractor View Post
          I know it sounds about right. It is one of the big recruitment agencies .. but I was thinking if they are doing some mumbo-jumbo I may wanna make sure I don't miss on any extra action. Anyway it was just pre-interview talk ..
          In the end they need to offer you a gross salary pro rata and you make your decision based on that. You will need a break down as there will be a difference between your rate and your salary which will not include employer deductions on pension and unemployment insurance.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Also accommodation in Geneva is at a premium, need to factor that in.....

Comment

A couple of months ago I was up for a role, then the agency gave me detailed information of all the expected deductions and expenses, at the end the take home money for the kind of roles I was doing was same as I'd get at a perm role here in London, so I said no thanks ... however such contract are worth doing for someone who wants the Swiss or European contracting experience, change of scenery or for getting into a new area to improve their CV, but financially it didn't really make sense to me to take that role.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Also accommodation in Geneva is at a premium, need to factor that in.....
                I stayed over the border in Annemasse, a shanty town on the border in France. It was a pain in the arse earning CHF, living paying Euros and coming back home to spend GBP.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                  I stayed over the border in Annemasse, a shanty town on the border in France. It was a pain in the arse earning CHF, living paying Euros and coming back home to spend GBP.
                  Sure, but with the ever strengthening CHF, you get richer and richer for no extra effort.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                  X