• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Dubai

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Dubai

Anyone done it?

A pimp got in touch with a role with a decent rate, so wondering if anyone has any experience out there?

Hot as hell in summer.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Hot as hell in summer.
      If you are somewhere without A/C you are doing Dubai wrong!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        If you are somewhere without A/C you are doing Dubai wrong!
        The office was just round the corner from the hotel so had to walk a block to get there. My eyelids started sweating as soon as I left the hotel and was drenched by the time I got to the office. Very uncomfortable indeed!! But generally yes you are right.

Comment

A friend of mine has lived and worked in UAE for years. Technically, contracting doesn't exist and you won't be using your LtdCo. There's workarounds but, as the tax and employment law landscape is very different, it largely looks like contracting to us. Be more mindful of planning how to get the money back into the UK when you come home or HMRC might help themselves to a lot of it.

Comment

That said about the heat I'd seriously consider another stint out there. It's a great experience if it's a shortish gig. The day rates haven't been very good in comparison for a long time from what I've seen so it would be for the experience over making any money. With the flights/accommodation/taxes etc I highly doubt it will be worth doing over a UK gig but a nice story to tell for the future. I was via a UK company on shortish assignments so can't comment on the tax situation sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              A friend of mine has lived and worked in UAE for years. Technically, contracting doesn't exist and you won't be using your LtdCo. There's workarounds but, as the tax and employment law landscape is very different, it largely looks like contracting to us. Be more mindful of planning how to get the money back into the UK when you come home or HMRC might help themselves to a lot of it.
              I assumed HMRC wouldn't be able to touch it as you'd have paid the tax in the country you earn it in?

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                I assumed HMRC wouldn't be able to touch it as you'd have paid the tax in the country you earn it in?
                I didn't think you paid tax in the Dubai as it's a freezone or something. Having a quick scan around it's a proper minefield. The contracts are also a difficult area. Is it a UK company and you'll just be working out there? Normal agency contract?

I think you need to do a ton of research first, ask the agent all about it and then see what you feel.

Have a dig through some of these..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...ntractoruk.com

Comment

Becoming non tax resident in UK isn't easy, check the published rules.

Comment

Oh and my mate says the Dubai economy is going down the pan and she reckons its days are numbered. She's planning on getting out by 2020.

Some info here:
                    https://www.technojobs.co.uk/info/it...in-dubai.phtml
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 11 April 2018, 11:04.

Comment

Working...
                    X