• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(yet another thread about) Back to perm offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(yet another thread about) Back to perm offer

Been contracting for a short while, a little over 3 years. One short 3 month contract on 400pd, another 15 month at 400. Both of those were a bit of a grab for anything following a redundancy just after buying a house, thus no warchest. Current place is 18 months old at 540 and everything's a bit more comfy with about 100k in the ltd company.

Anyway, current contract isn't being renewed but they're offering a perm role.
    The hourly x1000 finger in the air would suggest ~67.5k, they're offering 110k. Plus pension, health, possible bonuses etc. Banking IT / VP level.

Now even though it's a bit dry at times, it seems like a pretty low risk chance to see whether the perm version would come with a chance to make it more interesting.
    And worst case I don't like it and it's a good couple of lines on the CV and I go back and get another contract.

Mostly thinking out loud, and appreciate it's a very nice 'problem' to have. But comments welcome.

Ask for £120k.

I'd take it though. But the only person that can answer this question is you

Comment

Consider training, ability to progress, etc.

Then consider where you want to be in five years - DIR @ bank or back contracting.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If the company hasn't fecked you off take it.

If you don't like it after a few months you can resign and go back to contracting.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Go for it. What's the worst that can happen.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

All depends on you really.

Some people come into contracting accidentally via redundancy, like you, but I guess from your post you would probably have been happier to get a new perm job back then?

Some might love contracting and stick with it, and some might see it as a temporary thing until you can get a new perm role.

Only you know which boat you are in.

Nice problem to have indeed, but if you are having any doubts about contracting then it's a no-brainer to take the perm role.

Comment

Take it.

Comment

Interesting to note this isn't the first time the OP has looked in to go perm with clients...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ng-client.html
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Interesting to note this isn't the first time the OP has looked in to go perm with clients...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ng-client.html
                  It's not interesting, but it is relevant.

Sounds like OPs not a contractor at heart.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    It's not interesting, but it is relevant.
                    Certainly not interesting, maybe relevant. That time there was a perm role that looked like it could be more useful long term than my current contracting work was. Looked into it, ended up deciding against doing anything and stayed on that contract for another year so.

This time around the numbers look decent enough that it could be worth a low risk punt.
                    I'm certainly not so wed to the idea of being a contractor that I wouldn't consider jumping ship for a year or two then reassessing.

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Sounds like OPs not a contractor at heart.
                    Trololol.png
                    Some are born contractors, some achieve contracting and some have contracting thrust upon them?

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Some people come into contracting accidentally via redundancy, like you, but I guess from your post you would probably have been happier to get a new perm job back then?
                    Maybe at the time, purely because it perm roles were a known quantity. Everything turned out well though, no regrets etc.

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Some might love contracting and stick with it, and some might see it as a temporary thing until you can get a new perm role.
                    Honestly, neither of the above. Quite happy to see contracting and perm work as temporary.

Ta for the opinions though. Food for thought.
                    Last edited by deeh; 23 January 2017, 15:04.

Comment

Working...
                    X