• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(yet another thread about) Back to perm offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deeh View Post
    Certainly not interesting, maybe relevant. That time there was a perm role that looked like it could be more useful long term than my current contracting work was. Looked into it, ended up deciding against doing anything and stayed on that contract for another year so.

This time around the numbers look decent enough that it could be worth a low risk punt.
    I'm certainly not so wed to the idea of being a contractor that I wouldn't consider jumping ship for a year or two then reassessing.

Trololol.png
    Some are born contractors, some achieve contracting and some have contracting thrust upon them?

Ta for the opinions though. Food for thought.
    Not at all - don't take offence at my comment, it was an observation that you're still thinking about perm as a realistic option rather than a last resort.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Just a couple of things to watch here though. It's not as simple as having your cake and eating it.

Firstly a contract->perm role surely has be a big IR35 risk. If all that is changing is the way you are paid then surely the gig up to now has to be one of a disguised permie.

The other is that employers are not so keen on taking contractors on. If they are offering you the gig you are doing it's slightly difference but if you start applying for roles as an ex contractor they could eye you with a modicum of suspicion. You could be in to re-train and bugger off or are fully expecting you to not like it and bail back to contracting in 6 months or so time. Something that happens a lot as we can see on here. If there are similar permies up for the gig you could go straight to the back.

Just something to bear in mind. You can't dip in and out of the two as you feel free without there being some consequences.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Firstly a contract->perm role surely has be a big IR35 risk. If all that is changing is the way you are paid then surely the gig up to now has to be one of a disguised permie.
        The gig ran out of work and funding, me and 1 other contractor getting the boot. They actually binned me last year then called me up 3 weeks later when something unexpected cropped up. Also contract is with consultancy (on top of the agent) onsite at bank, but the perm would be direct with bank.
        So I'd be fairly confident that it wasn't disguised perm before.

The other is that employers are not so keen on taking contractors on. If they are offering you the gig you are doing it's slightly difference but if you start applying for roles as an ex contractor they could eye you with a modicum of suspicion. You could be in to re-train and bugger off or are fully expecting you to not like it and bail back to contracting in 6 months or so time. Something that happens a lot as we can see on here. If there are similar permies up for the gig you could go straight to the back.

Just something to bear in mind. You can't dip in and out of the two as you feel free without there being some consequences.

Good points. In this instance it's an offer was unprompted from me and it's not an advertised job, but certainly something to be wary of if I switched back to contract and then later thought about perm again.

Ta

Comment

400 pd vs 110k, no brainer imho

take it.
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Go for it. What's the worst that can happen.

( one less contractor to compete with )
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

This, HMRC do seem to be taking a closer look at this, I know a few people went contract to perm at my current place who have had coms form the HMRC regarding it and the client now there employer is also being asked to provide info, it looks like some how HMRC is now getting info on people who do go contract to perm may be the client has to report it now.

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
                This, HMRC do seem to be taking a closer look at this, I know a few people went contract to perm at my current place who have had coms form the HMRC regarding it and the client now there employer is also being asked to provide info, it looks like some how HMRC is now getting info on people who do go contract to perm may be the client has to report it now.
                Just out of interest, I read recently your chances of being investigated by HMRC are about 60k to 1. They win practically none. So it's likely just a straight info request. I know people who have gone contract to perm at the same bank and heard nothing. I doubt very much the bank will even respond unless it's a legal request and done under a formal investigation. I've also been contracting for 9 years now and IR35 has been around all that time, nothing much has changed at all., it's still as practically impossible to prosecute as it always was. And the IR35 warriors are just seem to be adding to the hysteria. Every other post has some warning about IR35 but how many people have ever been successfully prosecuted ?

Comment

But that doesn't include who settles. QDOS and sure IPSE have been on here and said they were pretty busy with cases so it's not like they sit there twiddling their thumbs.

I don't think the JlJ cases helps though as it was a partial win so there is some evidence it's not risk free now.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

But that doesn't include who settles. QDOS and sure IPSE have been on here and said they were pretty busy with cases so it's not like they sit there twiddling their thumbs.

I don't think the JlJ cases helps though as it was a partial win so there is some evidence it's not risk free now.
                    I would love to see some figures though from anyone on exactly how many cases that are brought by HMRC are successful. Anyone from QDOS or IPSE want to comment ?

Comment

But that doesn't include who settles
                      Or whose cases are quietly dropped.

There are posters on here who were put through loads of stress but because of their insurance HMRC quietly dropped their cases.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X