• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will I be marketable with these skills in London?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    What makes you say that
    Its well known too much credit is a red flag as it demonstrates someone who maybe in financial trouble! Martin Lewis: 20 things you must know to boost your credit score - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
      Its well known too much credit is a red flag as it demonstrates someone who maybe in financial trouble! Martin Lewis: 20 things you must know to boost your credit score - Telegraph
      Sorry - misread your post. I thought you meant too high a credit rating.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        This is nonsense. Employment screening will only show publicly available info and a flag to indicate if you have missed or late payments Lending limits don't fall into that category.
        Last edited by radish2008; 23 January 2017, 13:25. Reason: edited to include correct quote and add bit about late history

Comment

I agree with NLUK (must take my medication).

Four years is not enough to make you stand out. Stay perm for another four years at least, then you'll have a better idea of what the post-Brexit landscape is, gained more experience and paid-for training as well as being able to talk more confidently about your achievements.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thank you for your views and opinions, it's given me some things to think about.

Just to be clear, I have around 8 years experience in IT, and about 4 in what you might call a "senior" position. I have never had trouble finding cloud based jobs, it seems like it's a skill in desperate need at the moment.

You might be right about brexit being a big unknown at the moment, but I'm in a position now where I have no dependants or major financial obligations, so I can afford to be riskier than most would be comfortable with.

Can anyone answer my specific question:

2) Does demand rise and fall over the course of a year? I'll have a 6 month nest egg by December, and plan to work my notice before starting to look for a contract. Is this wise to do in December/Jan?

I planned to do a rough count of open contracts listed online every week for the next year to get a reasonable idea, but any extra insight someone can give me would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Markf View Post

2) Does demand rise and fall over the course of a year? I'll have a 6 month nest egg by December, and plan to work my notice before starting to look for a contract. Is this wise to do in December/Jan?
              No one can tell it really depends on your flexible to travel.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

January - clients don't hire because they are recovering from Christmas
                February - clients don't hire because they take time off for skiing in half term and then a week either telling their colleagues about it or in hospital
                March - clients don't hire because they are waiting for the new tax year
                April - clients don't hire because they haven't got all the budget they wanted
                May - clients don't hire because they are off for half term and then spend a week talking about it.
                June - clients don't hire because they are planning summer holidays
                July - clients don't hire because they are winding down for the summer holidays
                August - clients don't hire because they are on holiday
                September - clients don't hire because they are thinking back to their holidays
                October - clients don't hire because they are on half-term holidays and then bragging about them
                November - clients don't hire because they are planning Christmas parties and holidays
                December - clients don't hire because they are partying and then on holiday

Pick your time for looking for a new contract carefully.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you for your views and opinions, it's given me some things to think about.

Just to be clear, I have around 8 years experience in IT, and about 4 in what you might call a "senior" position. I have never had trouble finding cloud based jobs, it seems like it's a skill in desperate need at the moment.

You might be right about brexit being a big unknown at the moment, but I'm in a position now where I have no dependants or major financial obligations, so I can afford to be riskier than most would be comfortable with.
                  Your call then. Clearly the answers weren't what you wanted to hear.

Seriously, up to you if you think four years is enough. Have a look at the contracts out there for your area and see the volume of them and the requirements.

I planned to do a rough count of open contracts listed online every week for the next year to get a reasonable idea, but any extra insight someone can give me would be great.
                  Demand rises and falls. Next to nothing over Christmas and during the six week summer holidays, apart from that it varies in different skillsets and as projects vary. All it matters is that it's busy in your area when you need it to be otherwise you'll think it's quiet.

Tell me, why do you want to go contracting? I hope money isn't a motivator at the moment.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Your call then. Clearly the answers weren't what you wanted to hear.

Seriously, up to you if you think four years is enough. Have a look at the contracts out there for your area and see the volume of them and the requirements.

Demand rises and falls. Next to nothing over Christmas and during the six week summer holidays, apart from that it varies in different skillsets and as projects vary. All it matters is that it's busy in your area when you need it to be otherwise you'll think it's quiet.

Tell me, why do you want to go contracting? I hope money isn't a motivator at the moment.
                    I tend to get bored in jobs after a year or two. I'm also quite motivated to learn and improve my skills. I feel I'm in a perfect position to take a risk for the possibility of getting more control of what I do and when. The worst thing I can think of doing is staying in the same job, doing the same thing year after year. I'd also rather not deal with office politics and stick to project based work.

My hope is that after a few years of contracting I'll have a whole list of projects and have demonstrable ability to complete them. That should give me more control over what I do and where.

Comment

I tend to get bored in jobs after a year or two. I'm also quite motivated to learn and improve my skills. I feel I'm in a perfect position to take a risk for the possibility of getting more control of what I do and when. The worst thing I can think of doing is staying in the same job, doing the same thing year after year. I'd also rather not deal with office politics and stick to project based work.

My hope is that after a few years of contracting I'll have a whole list of projects and have demonstrable ability to complete them. That should give me more control over what I do and where.
                      With you on the bored in jobs - that's why I went contracting as I prefer project-based work.

Learning and improving technical skills is better done by training - up to you if you'd rather pay for it but be careful whether you can or not.

In terms of office politics, you generally can never truly escape them (it can depend on the environment and number of contractors in the place).

Sounds like you know what you want to do but I would seriously give it six months to see what the landscape is like after the PS smegstorm hits.

Comment

Working...
                      X