• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice appreciated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice appreciated

Hi everyone

After 18 yrs working for the same company in a permanent role, I find myself surplus to their requirements and looking to try out contracting in the northwest area

My background is 2nd line support with various skills picked up along the way

Tentatively looking at support contacts with sc clearance, I'm sort of hoping I can find one that pays what was earning (2k net) just so I can feed the family

During my time at work, I've worked with many contractors earning £20ph that I've had to teach basic IT skills and these people have never been struggling for work!

I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that there is work out there for the likes of me?

Thank you

Originally posted by Thatsmysurname View Post
    I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that there is work out there for the likes of me?
    People will say it's bad time for contracting but I suspect you will have no problem.

Bear in mind your options will be drastically limited if you are not prepared to travel or stay away. As a result you need to be careful about not accepting a rate that is too low.

Go on Jobserve and set up your alerts. The just fire off CVs for appropriate roles.

Be prepared to have a lot of rejections. Just as a very rough guide, you might only get a response from an agent every ten leads. It may take you 25 leads to get and interview. You may need to apply for over 100 roles before you get something. The contract market is much smaller that the permanent one and you will be up against stronger competition.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Lots of companoes are crying out for your skills. As Cirrus says, it's pretty quiet right now so just keep plugging away. If all else fails you'll have no difficulty getting a perm job.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm fortunate that for the first time in our life, we have a safety nest but I do want to try and get something soon. From the sound of it, I shouldn't get too downhearted if I don't hear back from agencies?

Comment

How long is your working experience in total?
          Are you working in a Consultancy?
          Do you have a Computer Science Engineer degree or similar?

If you have multiple skills you are in advantage.
          If possible apply in more than one location.
          Be persistent is the key.

Good luck

Comment

Nope. Agents are busy guys. They ring you back if they want you, or if they think they might want you in the near future. They don't have time to ring everyone who's CV was rejected.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              How long is your working experience in total?
              Are you working in a Consultancy?
              Do you have a Computer Science Engineer degree or similar?

If you have multiple skills you are in advantage.
              If possible apply in more than one location.
              Be persistent is the key.

Good luck
              22yrs over 2 firms. Last company was national with over 3000 users in my patch

I've got a degree in computers but seeing as it was over 20 years ago, would that be of any benefit?

Should I get hung up on my SC clearance, having been told that it'll lapse after a year of being unused

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Nope. Agents are busy guys. They ring you back if they want you, or if they think they might want you in the near future. They don't have time to ring everyone who's CV was rejected.

Yet they find enough time to phone up and waste my time with tulip and non existent roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Thatsmysurname View Post
                  22yrs over 2 firms. Last company was national with over 3000 users in my patch

I've got a degree in computers but seeing as it was over 20 years ago, would that be of any benefit?

Should I get hung up on my SC clearance, having been told that it'll lapse after a year of being unused

Thanks
                  1. You need to break it down into different projects.
                  2. Yes it is relevant as some firms don't use contractors without one. This is normally because most of their staff have doctorates. Just put it on the final page of your CV at the bottom in your qualifications section.
                  3. Nope. You can now work for defence companies without it because as long as you don't see certain data it isn't a problem. Also with the public sector payroll changes you don't want to work for the MOD etc.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Unless its financial services you would no longer get anywhere near £20ph for 2nd line that ship sailed many years ago due to outsourcing, Citrix, VMware & globalisation. £10-15ph is more realistic & the upcoming contractor tax changes in April make that salary level not far above minimum wage!! Here in London right now 2nd line outside Financial Services pay £90-125 per day which is really low due to how many candidates available & how much the rate card has dropped due to so many arriving from other countries to do these roles which has dramatically undermined the rate card. You would probably need to earn £30-35Ph to get a take home of £2K per month as the laws have changed so you can no longer get the tax breaks on lunch expenses which makes a big difference to stoppages. Also you have a far stronger chance of landing a perm role than a contract. Most agents would discount your perm experience when the market is stuffed full of experienced contractors already its simply a numbers game they only put 3-5 candidates cv per role your realistically going to struggle a lot to be included in that shortlist. Its also easier to land a new role when you have recently worked so target a new perm role 8 hours per working day until you find something.

Finally SC clearance is not even worth much if anything anymore salary wise its just an expected requirement to have but unless its police, public sector, or military no use for roles as most will not require it. Try to keep any age identifying info from your CV as well if applying for 2nd line roles agents see your in your late 30s early 40s that's going to send your cv straight in the bin more often than not. There is a lot of underhand age discrimination around your competing against candidates in their 20s & early 30s with way less experience so they are cheaper than you to hire & a lot of hiring managers will not see beyond the rate difference. That's just an unfortunate fact of life right now due to oversupply & under demand.

Its a very hash environment in IT contracting in London I do not know outside how the market fares but in London & the SE its worse than many of us more experienced contractors have ever seen it & that includes post 9\11 & the 2008 financial crash.

Comment

Working...
                    X