• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market downturn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market is dead. It feels like UK has already done brexit and we are in a recession

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      Market is dead. It feels like UK has already done brexit and we are in a recession
      What skills do you have?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        What skills do you have?
        +1 market definitely isn't dead for all skill sets
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

All you can do is get an investigative journalist to take up the cause & lobby the government of why so many imported workers are allowed to do IT work in UK on bogus visas which are clearly ONLY to increase their profits as there are no real IT skillset shortages in any great volume nor has there been for many years now!

Cancelling ALL foreign IT visas should be done immediately then look at the perceived (ONLY!) IT skillset shortage again in say 18 months to give it time to filter through to the workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by PrestonChris View Post
            its more like 3 mins actually

it's more the crap of going back into crap like performance reviews, career development plans, office politics, line manager, corporate bollocks etc

is it immoral to take it even though I only plan to stay 6-8 months ??
            If it gives you hope I am a permie and performance reviews take about an hour a year, career development plans consist of telling the managers what I want to work on, office politics is barely noticable as I do not want to be anything but a software engineer, I have a line manager but it is not really any different to my main client contact when I was contracting, corporate bollocks - not sure what this means.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

People who feel smug that they have unique skills which are irreplaceable are in for a shock. Over the years indian companies have graduated from lower level development to cover all aspect of any project from lower to higher level. Now US is tightening h1b visa rules these companies will capture UK and europe in a big way.
              UK govt. does not care about local contractors or even IT market otherwise why would they issue ICT and tier 1 visas in tens of thousands.
              Last edited by Andy2; 1 February 2017, 09:57.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                What skills do you have?
                Oracle DBA

Comment

Oracle DBA

I have seen quite a few DBA jobs recently, at least 3 in Manchester over the last week, I would say there has been more than 10 near me recently

Unfortunately, my DBA skills aren't good enough to be labelled a DBA alone, more a DBA / Developer.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    If it gives you hope I am a permie and performance reviews take about an hour a year, career development plans consist of telling the managers what I want to work on, office politics is barely noticable as I do not want to be anything but a software engineer, I have a line manager but it is not really any different to my main client contact when I was contracting, corporate bollocks - not sure what this means.

corporate bollocks ....

really ??

You mean you haven't had to sit through presentations on the latest corporate results , new management matrix they are implementing, the new catchphrase on the new way to deliver to the client which is exactly the same as you do now, team re-arrangement , endless admin so the manager with no work to do can fill in his spreadsheets which no one reads ...

I was a permie for 16 years with a huge corporation, we had quarterly reviews , project reviews , assignment manager reviews , training and development plans , constant rebranding and process's none of which improved how we delivered to the client

Comment

People who feel smug that they have unique skills which are irreplaceable are in for a shock. Over the years indian companies have graduated from lower level development to cover all aspect of any project from lower to higher level. Now US is tightening h1b visa rules these companies will capture UK and europe in a big way.
                      UK govt. does not care about local contractors or even IT market otherwise why would they issue ICT and tier 1 visas in tens of thousands.
                      These ICT & Tier 1 visas need cancelling ASAP not sure how you flag that to the morons in charge though!

Comment

Working...
                      X