• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding it tough getting any client to bite (New to Contracting 9 years as a permi)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding it tough getting any client to bite (New to Contracting 9 years as a permi)

Hi Guys,

Since the end of December I have been applying on the below jobsites to contract roles for IT Infrastructure Engineering positions and other related roles and technologies in Central London in all sectors, I have no other requirement other than the role type using the skills/exp I have which generally match the day rate I want.

For every 10-15 contract roles I apply for I usually get around 2 calls from agents who I then allow to send my CV to their clients, however I do not hear, back after this.

I am Applying on:
    Reed, Jobsite, cwjobs, PurelIT, uk.dice.

I wanted to ask for advice to try to get further than I am getting now and in to contracting.

Here are some facts about me and my thoughts so far, without posting my CV to you for tips (although I can post in a anonamous format) what do you think from seeing my facts below?

I have 1 months notice in my current permenant role, I have said to agents I can possibly make this shorter, I'm wondering if this is a big issue? I've been told the larger companies will wait as they have the budget assigned.

I have worked for three manage service providers over the last 6 years of my time in London (3 years previously in internal IT departments) so have very varied skills at the Citrix, Exchange, Microsoft, 3rd line, project positions.

I am seeing 2-4 new contracts posted daily to these sites so would say the market in my field is currently Ok

Do you tailor your CV for every role you apply for? I have made mine as varied as possible to suit most roles I am applying for.

Any advice on what I should be doing to seal these contracts appreciated!

Originally posted by daeus View Post
    Hi Guys,

Since the end of December I have been applying on the below jobsites to contract roles for IT Infrastructure Engineering positions and other related roles and technologies in Central London in all sectors, I have no other requirement other than the role type using the skills/exp I have which generally match the day rate I want.

For every 10-15 contract roles I apply for I usually get around 2 calls from agents who I then allow to send my CV to their clients, however I do not hear, back after this.

I am Applying on:
    Reed, Jobsite, cwjobs, PurelIT, uk.dice.

I wanted to ask for advice to try to get further than I am getting now and in to contracting.

Here are some facts about me and my thoughts so far, without posting my CV to you for tips (although I can post in a anonamous format) what do you think from seeing my facts below?

I have 1 months notice in my current permenant role, I have said to agents I can possibly make this shorter, I'm wondering if this is a big issue? I've been told the larger companies will wait as they have the budget assigned.

I have worked for three manage service providers over the last 6 years of my time in London (3 years previously in internal IT departments) so have very varied skills at the Citrix, Exchange, Microsoft, 3rd line, project positions.

I am seeing 2-4 new contracts posted daily to these sites so would say the market in my field is currently Ok

Do you tailor your CV for every role you apply for? I have made mine as varied as possible to suit most roles I am applying for.

Any advice on what I should be doing to seal these contracts appreciated!
    The first thing to point out is that being on the bench for less than a month is nothing. Most contractors would be very pleased to get a job in that time frame.

Be prepared for a 6 month wait, unless..

There is a glut of jobs going vacant in the Public Sector at the moment. They'll be inside IR35 and the rates are low but they'll get you started.

And make sure that your CV only 3 pages long. More advice on CVs is in the first-timers guide on the right.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Even though you tell the agents you are available in a month most will not be interested unless you are available immediately.

The fact that almost no contract roles start immediately and some take a month to sort out is to complex for their little brains.

It is then up to you once you get the interview to establish with the client how long it is likely before they could get you started.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Save up holiday and use it to cut short your notice.

There's a link on the forum to seminar about creating CVs and a company who will do this for you. They helped me with mine and will look over yours for free to give you a general idea of how good/bad it is.

Agreed with others, tell the agents your available immediately. Also I would suggest lowering your rate as most agents will go for more experienced contractors. If you lower your rate they might give you a go as they might be able to make more money with you.

Comment

Hand in your 1 months notice, work it and then market yourself as 'immediately available' for contracts. This doesn't guarantee landing a contract but will increase your chances.

Comment

Welcome to Contracting its the nature of the beast unfortunately, I have been a contractor 17 years now, time on the bench is part and parcel of the job. My previous contract should have run until Christmas but in Sept the NHS pulled the rug on me (and other contractors) I was lucky I fell right into another role which will last until Feb. I constantly turn down offers of permi jobs (including this role I am on presently they are interviewing today) Contracting is not utopia but it suits me and others it depends on what your needs are to live. Part of the job as contractor is not flapping when you have been on the bench as something always comes along. A months notice could be an issue enhanced by the fact you are new to contracting you have to find the right agent that will bite

Comment

The contract market is due to get very unstable and flooded very shortly. I'd ride it out in the permie role for the next six months and see what happens when the dust settles if I were you.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                The contract market is due to get very unstable and flooded very shortly. I'd ride it out in the permie role for the next six months and see what happens when the dust settles if I were you.
                Exactly right, Contractors have not been flavour of the month for some time it may well not be a good time to jump from permi.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Are you in exactly the same sphere with the same skills and live in the same location as the OP?

If not you cannot claim the contract market is harsh. I currently have my phone ringing off the hook and I'm not looking for a new role.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The issue for the OP is that agents get so many applications for roles, they often have to find a way to quickly cut down the number of people they will submit.

And you still a being permie, regardless of how quickly you can become available, is probably number 1 on their list of "reasons to eliminate this person from contention".

Other reasons you might be binned:
                    Contractor on the bench for X months, even for good reason, must not be any good - bin.
                    No interviews lined up already, must not be any good - bin
                    Permie immediately available as he has quit his job and wants to contract - hmm, no contracting experience, bin
                    Permie made redundant, thinks he'll give contracting a bash - bin

Comment

Working...
                    X