• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working For StartUps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    do what other companies do in business when there is a high risk for not getting paid, ask for part payment upfront.
    I'd be very interested to know how many contractors have demanded this and had it agreed by the client/agent.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      I'd be very interested to know how many contractors have demanded this and had it agreed by the client/agent and got paid as agreed
      FTFY

Would next to zero be a surprise?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        FTFY

Would next to zero be a surprise?
        It would surprise me about as much as learning that night follows day.

Comment

I left contracting to join a startup and I'm on my 2nd, loving the work life balance and can't see me working any other way now.

Having said that, there are startups and startups. I look at US based VC funded companies so they are relatively mature but far from exit. In fact, they've all been post B round and looking to build an EMEA team.

Lots of hassle, lots of fun and variety, t&e as soon as i walk out of my front door and now probably not that far off my earnings from contracting taking everything into account.

So its not all negative, you just have to pick the right company. If the startup is very very early stage, then I agree it carries higher risk.
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I worked for one startup while perm and greatly enjoyed it - would certainly work for startups again. The biggest upside is also what draws many people to contracting - a lack of politics. While I found the skillmix to be similar to large organisations (i.e. same share of great, decent and mediocre individuals), the attitude was genuinely collaborative and almost everybody was bought in to what the company did - something I never experienced in large places.

The second major upside is simply the speed with which things get done which was very refreshing.

The areas some may see as 'downsides' are that you'll have a lot of accountability with nobody more experienced to draw on or learn from in many cases, i.e. you need significant initiative and confidence. But again somebody who sees this as a negative probably wouldn't be in contracting in the first place.

I was concerned about financial risk initially and addressed this by researching what I could extensively up-front, and asking questions about growth and finances in the interview - if they're offended by this you probably shouldn't work there. If the startup is in very early stages I would second the suggestion of asking for weekly pay, and I would also try to get a feel for the background of the management to satisfy yourself they're competent.

Shares are common for a small handful of perm senior management, with long vesting periods, but if they offered that to a contractor I'd be baffled and probably give it a miss! Nobody would give away shares so easily for something they actually believed in.
            Last edited by Zylon; 22 January 2017, 21:27.

Comment

Working...
            X