• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Start Dates... Client unable to meet it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Start Dates... Client unable to meet it

Hi, I have a contract signed by both the agency and myself for a start date of tomorrow. Unfortunately between the agency and the client they have missed an element of process which means I cannot now start. Is there anything I can do about this to received some compensation for the now 1 working week I stand to lose. Any help much appreciated.

Worth asking but don't hold your breath.

Comment

Not worth risking the longer contract for, surely?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not really. There will be a clause in your contract that says you only get paid upon receipt of a signed timesheet which you won't have. It happens when we work T&M I'm afriad.

I'd be more worried about the whole thing falling flat and getting canned if I were you. Hope you didn't stop looking for gigs.

If you are an IPSE member you might try ringing them to see if they can do anything under the business interruption service they offer. I thought that would only kick in the the agency didn't honour the whole contract... Which could yet happen.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thanks for the replies so far. As you could probably tell I am relatively new to contracting. In summary then..... a signed contract with a start date in fact does not mean anything really. I would of thought on situations like this business is business and an expectation that the agency would look after you. Yeah probably naievety on my part but it is all learning.

Comment

Have a look in the professional part of the forums (where you should have posted this really) and you'll see some useful stickies about agents tricks and a post about things you need to know as a contractor. Some good stuff in there.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've moved this to the Business/Contracts section.

Good luck, Uriah. Agents are not always the nice/friendly people they first appear to be.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Agent might just be saying a week, it could be much much longer or client might be interviewing other candidates or cheaper ones or changed there mind

You have not started until you are sitting at the desk

Comment

Originally posted by Uriahdemon View Post
                  thanks for the replies so far. As you could probably tell I am relatively new to contracting. In summary then..... a signed contract with a start date in fact does not mean anything really. I would of thought on situations like this business is business and an expectation that the agency would look after you. Yeah probably naievety on my part but it is all learning.
                  I bet you think your 1 month notice period means something also

Welcome to contracting

Comment

These things happen, and if you find out when you're fairly new to contracting you can at least take comfort in the fact that you know what might happen and can plan for it in the future

I would imagine most people on here have a similar story. I once started at a client on a Monday and the entire project got pulled on the Wednesday. I'd only just worked out how to get to the canteen without getting lost.

Comment

Working...
                    X