• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going from perm to contract in same company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from perm to contract in same company?

Hi,

I'm thinking of applying for a contract role in our IT department. I work as a permie in a business role but the work I do is pretty similar to what the IT guys do. As far as I know, they have their own HR and policies around hiring where most of the IT guys are contractors.

Would this move be possible inside the same company? Any advice appreciated.

Lots of issues here. Firstly I'd be surprised if your company allow you to quit your job and take up a contract position. The rest is all about IR35 and the like..

I've a feeling you don't know anything about contracting and are just attracted by the money. What do you understand about contracting? Do you know what IR35 is and the fact you could be out of work on the spot and the like?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Lots of issues here. Firstly I'd be surprised if your company allow you to quit your job and take up a contract position. The rest is all about IR35 and the like..

I've a feeling you don't know anything about contracting and are just attracted by the money. What do you understand about contracting? Do you know what IR35 is and the fact you could be out of work on the spot and the like?
      I have known this to happen a few times, so is doable. If moving to a totally different job in the same company then OP should be IR35 justifiable, but as you say they need to be sure of the reasons and implications for wanting to make the switch.

Comment

Didn't spot it earlier but it also looks like he's moving in to a role that he currently doesn't do. Can't see that working. Taking a guy on that can't do the role when there will be a queue of others with years and years of experience? Sounds like the OP is doing a bit of dreaming here.

Comment

I've seen this happen a few times at a company I previously worked for where peeps were wanting to go contracting but the company wanted to hold on to them whilst they recruited.

Comment

Didn't you only just go perm?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post2350305

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
              Good spot sir.

Comment

Stated by OP on 28 Dec - I'm thinking of going into a perm position, mostly because the contract market seems to have changed a lot and there could be long periods on the bench.

So then between 28 Dec and now, OP has actually gone permie, and is now looking at contract roles ? Anyone else confused ?

OP - please explain yourself

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  Stated by OP on 28 Dec - I'm thinking of going into a perm position, mostly because the contract market seems to have changed a lot and there could be long periods on the bench.

So then between 28 Dec and now, OP has actually gone permie, and is now looking at contract roles ? Anyone else confused ?

OP - please explain yourself

Comment

Working...
                  X