• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

client asking me not to work, even though I have a signed contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fonejacker View Post
    You are not the only one. Currently working for a financial institution too and getting the run around, far worse though. Only worked 4 days last month and they call me in whenever they want and it is always changing all the time, literally day to day.

People who are saying just leave and say adios it's not that easy, i'm placed here on a project by a consultancy who has lots of work coming in but can't give me any of it because of the unpredictability of this client. Also i'm the only one who knows how to release to live here, can I just walk out and leave the consultancy hanging and the client? I mean they are asking for it but I like seeing projects though and my CV will look better with a completed project rather than 'oh yeah I walked out near the end'

I'm nearly at the end now after 3 months of on and off and just heard the go-live looks like it will be delayed....so i'll have to stand down until then..and then it might change again etc. FML, think yourself lucky you only had a 4 week break and have something fairly consistent. Contracting does suck sometimes but unfortunately you will get no sympathy from any friends etc as they will say 'you are getting paid the big bucks, suck it up..etc.'

Oh and btw, having a written contract means jack all, if you don't work you don't get paid, might as well be toilet paper
    Yet you're happy for them to do that to you.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You are not the only one. Currently working for a financial institution too and getting the run around, far worse though. Only worked 4 days last month and they call me in whenever they want and it is always changing all the time, literally day to day.

People who are saying just leave and say adios it's not that easy, i'm placed here on a project by a consultancy who has lots of work coming in but can't give me any of it because of the unpredictability of this client. Also i'm the only one who knows how to release to live here, can I just walk out and leave the consultancy hanging and the client? I mean they are asking for it but I like seeing projects though and my CV will look better with a completed project rather than 'oh yeah I walked out near the end'

I'm nearly at the end now after 3 months of on and off and just heard the go-live looks like it will be delayed....so i'll have to stand down until then..and then it might change again etc. FML, think yourself lucky you only had a 4 week break and have something fairly consistent. Contracting does suck sometimes but unfortunately you will get no sympathy from any friends etc as they will say 'you are getting paid the big bucks, suck it up..etc.'

Oh and btw, having a written contract means jack all, if you don't work you don't get paid, might as well be toilet paper
      Well, we found another one quite quickly.

In answer to your question, not walk out, but hand in your notice, yes. 4 days work in a month?! **** THAT.

I would feel zero sympathy for them in that situation.

And frankly, more fool you for putting up with it, and pretty much defending them here.

They saw you coming, and probably can't believe their luck you are still doing it.

Comment

Your cv shouldn't say anything of the sort!

If you've been there at least six months come the end of the notice period, nobody will bat an eyelid. If you've only achieved four days of billing per month and sucked it up, I'd be more inclined to question your business sense than praise your loyalty!
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Yet you're happy for them to do that to you.
          no far from happy, just want to wrap this up and move on and let it never happen again. The retainer idea mentioned in this thread is something i'll definitely go for in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Well, we found another one quite quickly.

In answer to your question, not walk out, but hand in your notice, yes. 4 days work in a month?! **** THAT.

I would feel zero sympathy for them in that situation.

And frankly, more fool you for putting up with it, and pretty much defending them here.

They saw you coming, and probably can't believe their luck you are still doing it.
            there's no other contracts around that are local, with all the offshoring going on and companies cutting costs I had to take what I could get. I suspect OP is in similar situation, if OP was getting inundated with other contracts you think they would put up with the BS?

Comment

no far from happy, just want to wrap this up and move on and let it never happen again. The retainer idea mentioned in this thread is something i'll definitely go for in the future.
              What you wrote earlier infers a sense of loyalty, which clearly isn't two-way. If you intend staying, that's up to you; sorry you didn't get people backing you up on that option.

Comment

What you wrote earlier infers a sense of loyalty, which clearly isn't two-way. If you intend staying, that's up to you; sorry you didn't get people backing you up on that option.
                well i'll work for anyone who pays me - like any contractor, if there is work around which might be X days per month then it's better than 0 days per month. (or solid days per month working abroad/in a hotel? debatable..)

Comment

Your cv shouldn't say anything of the sort!

If you've been there at least six months come the end of the notice period, nobody will bat an eyelid. If you've only achieved four days of billing per month and sucked it up, I'd be more inclined to question your business sense than praise your loyalty!
                  True good point, on CV there is usually nothing about delivery and just having skill X or Y. it's actually interesting with CV as I can put November - January at Client X, you don't actually have to write the number of days or anything so someone looking would just assume you are working full time. (deception? or just normal..debatable)

Comment

Also i'm the only one who knows how to release to live here, can I just walk out and leave the consultancy hanging and the client?
                    It would depend what your contract says, but I don't see why not unless they've specifically included something to cover this.

If I were you'd I'd definitely be looking elswhere. Once you've found something give them your notice and say you'll need to come in for 5 days to train someone on deployment. If your contract is with the consultancy, and they've someone managed to make a flexible resource key man dependant, they really should be paying for you to hand it over regardless of if they can bill the client.

If they don't allow you the time to handover, then they might come asking you to do the deployment, in which case you can negotiate a new contract and substantially higher daily rate.

Comment

there's no other contracts around that are local, with all the offshoring going on and companies cutting costs I had to take what I could get. I suspect OP is in similar situation, if OP was getting inundated with other contracts you think they would put up with the BS?
                      well, yes, that is about the only reason to stay.

Comment

Working...
                      X