• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

client asking me not to work, even though I have a signed contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't sound like the best contract. Look for another one during the 4 weeks, what's your notice period?

Comment

Worst of both worlds by the sounds of it; sounds rubbish.

Sounds like a rolling furlough, which is no good, whatever the situation. Just delivering when you've not been asked to is a no-no - you won't get paid, but will incur expenses.

Explain to them that it's not a good operating model for your business and discuss a retainer. Meanwhile, get looking for a new role - sounds like they won't miss you if you've not available for the last two weeks of your gig anyway!
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Look on the bright side, it should make for a robust defence if you ever get an IR35 investigation.

Comment

Nope, sounds pretty god damn awful to me. If they expect you to sit around and be there when they need then they need to be paying a retainer.

Breaks in requirements are one thing, but back to the client/supplier thing, you piss around a builder like this and the next you call you'll get a "Sorry mate, started a new project. I can be with you in 2 months".

Best contract I ever had was exactly that - a reasonable retainer (Think it was £200p/d) on the proviso that I'd be available within 24 hours and would pick up e-mails and calls.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Well yes but no. Plenty of banking gigs introduce furloughs, clients ask contractors to take breaks around Xmas. Conversely contractors say they aren't available when they go on holidays. It's all part of the same thing. Unfortunate it's so long but it's not uncommon and over a year a contractor does exactly the same for longer combined periods.

He's definitely seen it worse than most of us but it is part of the way we work so it's unfortunate that's all.
            yeah, aware of furloughs (just had one myself before xmas, it was great!)

One offs (or once a years) are fine, but often? and length changing during them? Whole different ballgame, and I don't see it as the same thing at all.

A one off furlough I can deal with, much more than that and it's adios!

Comment

Indeed. OP hasn't been very clear on how many times it's happened though so just making the point we are (in a majority of cases) unavailable to work far more than clients pull this one.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Indeed. OP hasn't been very clear on how many times it's happened though so just making the point we are (in a majority of cases) unavailable to work far more than clients pull this one.
                So we agree, OP's situation is very uncommon.

They are taking the piss asking him to take a 4 week break with a vague future re-start date, without offering a retainer.
                Last edited by jmo21; 16 January 2017, 11:08.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Thankfully yeah I'd say the same.
                  They are taking the piss asking him to take a 4 week break with a vague future re-start date, without offering a retainer.
                  Erm... Dunno it's taking the piss. It's very unfortunate and not a good situation but I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say they are taking the piss. They are having to do what they have to and unfortunately it's hitting the OP hard. I guess that depends on your definition of taking the piss.

Edit : re-reading his post he does say this has happened before so I'll change my mind and say yes it appears they are.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

Correct. Any furlough longer than the three weeks at Christmas (which is 12 business days in reality) is a urine extraction. To be just told that there's some work coming up at some point is a complete joke. Apply for another role, get it and don't quit your current one. Just tell them you're not available and will let them know when you are.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You are not the only one. Currently working for a financial institution too and getting the run around, far worse though. Only worked 4 days last month and they call me in whenever they want and it is always changing all the time, literally day to day.

People who are saying just leave and say adios it's not that easy, i'm placed here on a project by a consultancy who has lots of work coming in but can't give me any of it because of the unpredictability of this client. Also i'm the only one who knows how to release to live here, can I just walk out and leave the consultancy hanging and the client? I mean they are asking for it but I like seeing projects though and my CV will look better with a completed project rather than 'oh yeah I walked out near the end'

I'm nearly at the end now after 3 months of on and off and just heard the go-live looks like it will be delayed....so i'll have to stand down until then..and then it might change again etc. FML, think yourself lucky you only had a 4 week break and have something fairly consistent. Contracting does suck sometimes but unfortunately you will get no sympathy from any friends etc as they will say 'you are getting paid the big bucks, suck it up..etc.'

Oh and btw, having a written contract means jack all, if you don't work you don't get paid, might as well be toilet paper

Comment

Working...
                      X