• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 day car hire confusion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 day car hire confusion

hi all I have had mixed response's on this from friends wondered if I could have some input.

my personal car is in the garage from Friday. can I hire a hire car for 3 day's to get to and from home and contract. would be no personal journeys jus whilst it is in for repair ?

Originally posted by confusedman View Post
    hi all I have had mixed response's on this from friends wondered if I could have some input.

my personal car is in the garage from Friday. can I hire a hire car for 3 day's to get to and from home and contract. would be no personal journeys jus whilst it is in for repair ?
    The problem is that its in on a weekend which implies personal use. Were it in on Monday / Tuesday say I would just stop claiming mileage and expense the lot, being over a weekend I wouldn't take the risk due to the implied usage...

For reference when I was permie years ago car hire was always Monday to Friday.... The car company would never ask for it to be returned over the weekend but we were never allowed to hire it over (even part) of a weekend...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The car is available for personal use by being on the drive so I'd say no.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        The problem is that its in on a weekend which implies personal use. Were it in on Monday / Tuesday say I would just stop claiming mileage and expense the lot, being over a weekend I wouldn't take the risk due to the implied usage...

For reference when I was permie years ago car hire was always Monday to Friday.... The car company would never ask for it to be returned over the weekend but we were never allowed to hire it over (even part) of a weekend...
        This is my take - I had a similar issue and had to take a hire car away for a week. It's hardly an iron clad perspective, but my very anal corporate job used to let us hire cars for this kind of use (We weren't allowed to use personal cars for business use).

Can you hire it Monday morning, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by confusedman View Post

Why wouldn't you be able to?

If you're asking can your company pay for it, then probably not. But that would be dumb anyway. Just hire the car personally and pay yourself the usual mileage rate (assuming that you can).
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Nope because you are hiring it over the weekend.

Yes if you hire it Monday AM to Friday PM and it is not available for personal use.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We are assuming here you are outside IR35, not using a brolly and haven't exceed 24 months at your location. It would be a commute otherwise no?

Comment

I have hired a vehicle on a Saturday to collect a Company asset which I purchased. No personal use. Your Company can pay for anything you want. What can be tax deductible and free of BIK is another kettle of fish...
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  I have hired a vehicle on a Saturday to collect a Company asset which I purchased. No personal use. Your Company can pay for anything you want. What can be tax deductible and free of BIK is another kettle of fish...
                  That makes sense. In this case however the guys personal car is out of action so he wants a car to replace it. Thinking about it that to me would be a personal hire regardless of what he uses it for. It's going to be tough to argue a replacement for your personal car is wholly and exclusively for business even if it has some business use.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    That makes sense. In this case however the guys personal car is out of action so he wants a car to replace it. Thinking about it that to me would be a personal hire regardless of what he uses it for. It's going to be tough to argue a replacement for your personal car is wholly and exclusively for business even if it has some business use.
                    Presumably the BIK would be 1/52 of what it would normally be though? Or do company car rules not apply to short term rental?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X