• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trouble already - first contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just want to say thanks for all advice so far.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Solicitor's letter only need say that withholding payment for the work done is unlawful. Then just invoice until not paid on time. Dun for a few weeks, then go legal.

Frankly I wouldn't bother with the solicitor's letter until I hadn't had my invoice paid on time and dunning had failed to get the money.
      Hmm. I'd assumed when he said withholding that the payment was already late. With three parties involved and no paperwork I can see this one being a mare. I still can't help think going in big first would help. Dunning will take time and likely to fall on deaf ears if the agent will be left with a liability.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Dunning does take time, but it demonstrates that you have been reasonable, should it go to court.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Panda View Post
          For the sake of maintaining good relations with the agent (he has been amicable prior) ...
          Stop worrying about this.

Either you dispute the damage or you don't. If you dispute it then stay firm and chase for payment.

The agent seems to be accepting your case anyway. Show yourself as a business and be respected as one.
          Last edited by Contreras; 6 January 2017, 02:12.

Comment

With everyone else on this one. Stop arguing with them on the phone.

If they dont pay the invoice, take the necessary steps. Its unrelated to the damage issue.

Leave them deal with the damage issue. If it does come back to you then take it from there. But I cant see how something hired to a client, can be passed onto you unless they can prove you were negligent?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

The agency have taken the full cost of 'damages' out of my fee, with no further updates and without my consent. I am fuming.

Do I still follow the dunning process or is this a straight out send in a debt collection agency or court action?

Comment

The agency have taken the full cost of 'damages' out of my fee, with no further updates and without my consent. I am fuming.

Do I still follow the dunning process or is this a straight out send in a debt collection agency or court action?
                Nat says dunning, I say solicitor but IMO they've made their decision so can't see how writing a couple of letters is going to change that so time to start going legal. I couldn't see it going any other way which was why I chose solicitors straight off. Can't see debt collection being useful at this point but never used one.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's illegal. Tell them such in an email and that you will be pursuing this legally.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Seems the letters hit the spot and they finally paid up! Thanks for the top advice all.

Managed to maintain a civil relationship with the agency also so that's a bonus!

Comment

Seems the letters hit the spot and they finally paid up! Thanks for the top advice all.

Managed to maintain a civil relationship with the agency also so that's a bonus!
                      Thanks for the updates on the case and well done.

Any news on the damages? I'm guessing the agent are in the clear, which is why the relationship is still civil (and why they've paid up without too much complaint).
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X