• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Contracting - Did I jump in too soon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    We tend to work on

Contract hourly rate X 1000 = annual perm salary.
    I wouldn't really say 'tend to' as it is a debatable figure that a very rough guide at best. That's IMO anyway.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I wouldn't really say 'tend to' as it is a debatable figure that a very rough guide at best.
      It was rough last year so it's even rougher this year given contractor tax has gone up. However it does lead you away from multiplying your daily rate by 230.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by harper146 View Post
        Then again if I'm competing with people with your math skills for a contract I fancy my chances
        No, you'll be competing with the likes of MrMarkyMark and myself who have about 38 years combined experience in MI/BI.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Have to agree

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          No, you'll be competing with the likes of MrMarkyMark and myself who have about 38 years combined experience in MI/BI.
          Have to agree I have 18 years BI/MI experience and only went contracting 2 years ago. You haven't had the time to build up the experience to command the larger day rates. My personal opinion would be to see the contract out and look at the permanent consultancy market. Brush up the SQL and Tableau skills, build your own portfolio of work on your own laptop and I am sure you could get £30k + permanent. Get 5 years under your belt and you may be ready to go back to contracting and command the higher rates.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Bank are using you to avoid business NICs and hassle. Better sticking with perm for longer. You'll climb higher and command a better contract rate longer term. A good MI analyst should be earning treble what you're on as a perm and same for your day rate.

21k isn't bad for a first job role, it's the house deposits that are higher these days
            "You will climb higher".....otherwise you are stuck at MI analyst as far as the recruiters (or their software) can read a CV.

Comment

As I have said before and got some agreement over, I stayed permanent until I hit my glass ceiling after about a decade.

Comment

Working...
              X