• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ending a contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
    If everything falls right, what's to stop you doing both at the same time for a couple of (busy) weeks? Answering some emails from gig#1 during the downtime/breaks in #2 then putting in the meat of the work for #1 when you get home?
    Nah cant see that working to be honest. New place is wanted me there on site asap.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by amanwhoisquiet View Post
      If everything falls right, what's to stop you doing both at the same time for a couple of (busy) weeks? Answering some emails from gig#1 during the downtime/breaks in #2 then putting in the meat of the work for #1 when you get home?
      Erm, because you are being paid to do a full day by your current client and the old one will probably expect the same. Either way, not gonna fit in with either.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Nah cant see that working to be honest. New place is wanted me there on site asap.
        Do you have a substitution clause?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Erm, because you are being paid to do a full day by your current client and the old one will probably expect the same. Either way, not gonna fit in with either.
          I was on about the OP's thing rather than yours PC, and as the OP said the current gig is fully WFH and just marketing/maintenance then there might be some scope to do that staggered over a day/eve/wkend or some other arrangement. That's why I said if everything falls right. I'm sure this is absolutely being done from time to time by a non-zero amount of contractors. If the #1 contract does specify particular hours, then yes, you'd be just ripping them off by taking on another at the same time - although there must be people doing this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Do you have a substitution clause?
            Yep. But never going to fly in practice.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

So you offer them the sub, they refuse, contract broken, you walk, simples

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                So you offer them the sub, they refuse, contract broken, you walk, simples
                Not as simple as that I am afraid. We covered that option in another thread recently.

Plus you've just shot a major pillar of your IR35 defense in the foot.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Flying might help if the M4 is knackered again. Ho hum.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Depending on your experience, skillset and SME knowledge you will likely find yourself in this position many times. There is no right or wrong answer - you simply need to weigh up the pros and cons and make a business decision.

If you do decide to leave early - provided you manage it in a professional way and you maintain a high level of proficiency in your given field then I do not see why new contracts will be rejected across the board. When business / projects change direction or lose funding then the client will go through a decision process to potentially reduce head count and will not hesitate to trigger a release clause.

Some questions to consider:
                    - How long will you remain contracting for?
                    - What future benefit will the existing / new contract bring to your business (beyond the invoice amount possible for the 6 months or so)
                    - What will either role add to your marketability for future roles

Once confirmed make the decision and move on and be up front and honest to all parties.

Comment

Apologies for taking a while to respond, just want to say thank you for the feedback and ideas.

Ultimately, I decided to stay with the current contract until it ends and actively look for new opportunities closer to then. To be clear: I was referred to the other contract I was interested in by a friend but didn't go beyond speaking to a recruiter to determine if it would have been a good match.

(To save future readers time, I've edited my opening post to add links to some of the other threads I read while trying to reach a decision.)
                      Last edited by Jordan; 13 January 2017, 12:23.

Comment

Working...
                      X