+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 60
  1. #21

    キツネの帽子をかぶる

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,024
    Thanks (Given)
    7
    Thanks (Received)
    706
    Likes (Given)
    672
    Likes (Received)
    2378

    Default

    Anything over 60 minutes on average and I would stay away for a few nights per week. Under two hours and you can still come home one or two nights, or if there's something on.
    0. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely. Moderator Power corrupts moderately.
    1. I have a low tolerance level for idiots.
    2. You have to earn my respect, demanding it won't work.

  2. #22

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,517
    Thanks (Given)
    124
    Thanks (Received)
    1062
    Likes (Given)
    1559
    Likes (Received)
    5238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Anything over 60 minutes on average and I would stay away for a few nights per week. Under two hours and you can still come home one or two nights, or if there's something on.
    But if that means the missus then revert back to the previous sentence.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #23

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    16,678
    Thanks (Given)
    171
    Thanks (Received)
    606
    Likes (Given)
    1034
    Likes (Received)
    2277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    And setting off 5 mins early invariably gets you into the office at 7:30, long before any other fecker
    Also, if you get in early and leave early, other people get the impression your skiving off early. I used to arrive at 7:30 and leave at 16:00 - and get the usual comments about "half day" etc. I switched to 10:00 to 18:00 and was commended for always being the last to leave! (Do the maths).
    Fact check: Mostly false

    --drunk on abuse of power--

  4. #24

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,517
    Thanks (Given)
    124
    Thanks (Received)
    1062
    Likes (Given)
    1559
    Likes (Received)
    5238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Also, if you get in early and leave early, other people get the impression your skiving off early. I used to arrive at 7:30 and leave at 16:00 - and get the usual comments about "half day" etc. I switched to 10:00 to 18:00 and was commended for always being the last to leave! (Do the maths).
    You can't win with this one. I've always manage to negotiate a 10am start and laye finish after bedding in and get all the jibes about late for today or early for tomorrow? I've done 2 hours work etc. No one sees you working late so assume you are still doing less hours.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #25

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    23,414
    Thanks (Given)
    636
    Thanks (Received)
    700
    Likes (Given)
    3724
    Likes (Received)
    3045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Also, if you get in early and leave early, other people get the impression your skiving off early. I used to arrive at 7:30 and leave at 16:00 - and get the usual comments about "half day" etc. I switched to 10:00 to 18:00 and was commended for always being the last to leave! (Do the maths).
    Not necessarily.

    One client everyone was in around 8.30am at the latest so they could leave by 5pm or have longer lunch breaks. So they had no issue with me being in an hour earlier.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  6. #26

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,876
    Thanks (Given)
    12
    Thanks (Received)
    70
    Likes (Given)
    326
    Likes (Received)
    497

    Default

    Driving - 90 minutes in rush hour max. I'll stretch to 2 hours if it's short term and an easy, predictable drive. I'd honestly much rather stay over much past that, because what's the point in getting home just in time to have tea and go to bed, to be up early the next day.

    I'll stretch a bit more for rail commutes because they tend to be less stressful.

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'd kill for a 55 minute commute. Many permies do this and look what they earn. If it gets too much stay over a night or two.
    Very true - I used to commute about 70 - 80 minutes to my work, BUT it was generally quite pleasant. Very little traffic and the company were incredibly relaxed about hours and times, so that bit was never an issue. Then they started digging up the M6 and, honestly, it was one of the things that pushed me out and into contracting - it changed from an enjoyable(ish) drive to a hateful nightmare.
    Last edited by vwdan; 3rd January 2017 at 16:39.

  7. #27

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,658
    Thanks (Given)
    328
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    2196
    Likes (Received)
    2609

    Default

    Commuting round Manchester has been pot luck and getting worse. Anything involving the M6 multiplies the issues. I've commuted up to Skipton, which was easy because I'm heading away from traffic but it's 48 miles so always an hour. City centre commutes aren't a problem because of the rat runs you learn about with time, especially on the Rochdale Road/Oldham Road side. Downside is that you all have to converge again depending upon which side of Heaton Park you are going. The A56 is patchy up to J17 from Manchester - some parts of it are far quieter than others but Prestwich village is a nightmare to get through (the last mile before the motorway).

    Commuting out of hours is definitely preferred - currently doing 4 long days and one v short day instead of 5 regular ones.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  8. #28

    Super poster

    ChimpMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Here There and Everywhere
    Posts
    4,703
    Thanks (Given)
    57
    Thanks (Received)
    50
    Likes (Given)
    487
    Likes (Received)
    291

    Default

    Surely it also depends on what you have waiting for you at home.

  9. #29

    Godlike

    BoredBloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    whereever the work is
    Posts
    6,971
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Commuting round Manchester has been pot luck and getting worse. Anything involving the M6 multiplies the issues. I've commuted up to Skipton, which was easy because I'm heading away from traffic but it's 48 miles so always an hour. City centre commutes aren't a problem because of the rat runs you learn about with time, especially on the Rochdale Road/Oldham Road side. Downside is that you all have to converge again depending upon which side of Heaton Park you are going. The A56 is patchy up to J17 from Manchester - some parts of it are far quieter than others but Prestwich village is a nightmare to get through (the last mile before the motorway).

    Commuting out of hours is definitely preferred - currently doing 4 long days and one v short day instead of 5 regular ones.
    WHS!

    Last year I did 9 months travelling from Rochdale to Knutsford and it was a nightmare. The M60 is hopeless, not helped when half of it is being upgraded to a 'smart' motorway. I'd leave for work early and it would take about an hour to get in, but it always seemed to take 90mins to get home. People in the south moan about commuting but it's just as bad up north.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

    I preferred version 1!

  10. #30

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,658
    Thanks (Given)
    328
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    2196
    Likes (Received)
    2609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoredBloke View Post
    WHS!

    Last year I did 9 months travelling from Rochdale to Knutsford and it was a nightmare. The M60 is hopeless, not helped when half of it is being upgraded to a 'smart' motorway. I'd leave for work early and it would take about an hour to get in, but it always seemed to take 90mins to get home. People in the south moan about commuting but it's just as bad up north.
    Throw in that public transport is terrible for anything but the most basic or intercity journeys and it's a reason that I seek out London gigs (as well as them generally being better paying and six months at a time).
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.