• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dates of "employment" - pushing my luck?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dates of "employment" - pushing my luck?

I'm in a bit of a small pickle. I'm trying to keep my CV as lean and mean as possible and I'm just wondering the best way to navigate this:

From August 2015 - August 2016 I worked full time for Company A doing my core skillset - strong stuff, good CV fodder and all that. After that I went more casual because I couldn't take on a 'proper contract' for $PersonalReasons (Baby on the way with medical complications). This involved doing little bits of ad-hoc work for Company A but primarily helping two other companies - Company B & C. That took me up until Christmas but unfortunately the company B & C work wasn't really my main marketable skill (They're companies I've worked with before who called me in as a favour and it worked for us both). It was interesting work and good for my own knowledge, but knowing how recruiters are I daren't put them on m CV lest they get all confused.

So, my question - if I'm still doing occasional pieces of work for Company A until Christmas is it completely disingenuous to use that as my end date? In terms of references I'll gladly speak to them and I know they'll vouch for me, so I can't see it becoming a major issue, but I'd rather not acquire a reputation for taking the piss with the truth.

Just for additional clarity, by Company A work is very clearly split into projects (They're a consultancy) and it was on going work for those projects that I was going back to. In fact, I've got another few days in Jan for them, too. I'm also now looking for a more traditional contract as things are settled at home.

If you did work for company A from X to Y date with gaps unless the reference specifically asks how many days did you work for company A, then neither you or the referee in company A are lying by stating you worked for company A between dates X and Y.

You need to remember most reference gatherers are thick or simply can't be bothered to go into much detail.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

FWIW, I agree with SE.

Comment

Sold! Appreciate the feedback

Comment

Agree with the above.

Comment

And it's a yes from me...

Comment

My accountant says yes.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                My accountant says yes.
                Can you not make decisions on your own ?

Comment

Working...
                X