• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What % will the agency/consultancy take off my daily rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What % will the agency/consultancy take off my daily rate

Hi,

I'm negotiating my rate with the agency. They are playing hardball, so now I'm trying to understand how much room I have for increasing the rate.

It will be very helpful if you can let me know what cut they usually take. I go through and agency and a consulting firm. So each of these 2 will take their share. There is no way I can deal directly with the end client

Should I expect around 40% cut in total, or 20% from each?

Many thanks

Who knows. Agencies in to large firms tend to be on fixed rates of 6 ton10 percent or so. Agencies into smaller clients can be from 15 to God knows what.

Also depends if you are being charged to the client just as a body or a consultant.

You can try get a raise at renewal as well as they have made their money to cover the effort to find you.

Try as hard as you can but I wouldn't be losing a decent gig over a few 10s of pounds.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Who knows. Agencies in to large firms tend to be on fixed rates of 6 ton10 percent or so. Agencies into smaller clients can be from 15 to God knows what.

Also depends if you are being charged to the client just as a body or a consultant.

You can try get a raise at renewal as well as they have made their money to cover the effort to find you.

Try as hard as you can but I wouldn't be losing a decent gig over a few 10s of pounds.

I worked for this client a couple of years ago. At that time I was at £600/day. Now I'm trying to get £800/day. So it's rather a big increase. I'm hoping that the end client agrees. Previously I had to go through both the agency and the consultancy. I believe they dumped the consultancy, so only the agency is left.

Do you think that has a chance to go through?

Comment

You're starting from two wrong places. You get a percentage of the agency's fees, not the other way around. Secondly what you were charged at before has no relationship to your history and a lot to do with the client's budget. What do you bring to the party now that warrants you getting a 30%-plus rise in the client's costs?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          You're starting from two wrong places. You get a percentage of the agency's fees, not the other way around. Secondly what you were charged at before has no relationship to your history and a lot to do with the client's budget. What do you bring to the party now that warrants you getting a 30%-plus rise in the client's costs?
          What do you mean by that? Let's keep it simple. One of the middlemen is cut off, and I'm hoping to take his share so I can ask for the increase. And yeah, supposedly after some years I'll be bringing to the client more experience

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
            What do you mean by that? Let's keep it simple. One of the middlemen is cut off, and I'm hoping to take his share so I can ask for the increase. And yeah, supposedly after some years I'll be bringing to the client more experience
            Numero one rule in this game is are you happy with the rate? If yes, take it, if not, move on or negotiate. Don't fret about who's getting what further up the chain, you've no idea what work they are doing to inflate the rate for everyone's benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Numero one rule in this game is are you happy with the rate? If yes, take it, if not, move on or negotiate. Don't fret about who's getting what further up the chain, you've no idea what work they are doing to inflate the rate for everyone's benefit.
              /\ This /\
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I worked for this client a couple of years ago. At that time I was at £600/day. Now I'm trying to get £800/day. So it's rather a big increase. I'm hoping that the end client agrees. Previously I had to go through both the agency and the consultancy. I believe they dumped the consultancy, so only the agency is left.

Do you think that has a chance to go through?
                Not a hope in hell. You should have put that first and saved me some time.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I assume that the market supports the rate you're hoping to get? How did you calculate it? What can you offer the client at £800 p/day that a £600 p/day body can't? Does your increased experience specifically match what the client needs for this particular job? It's no good saying you've got 10 years experience in widgets when the client wants spangles.

Comment

I worked for this client a couple of years ago. At that time I was at £600/day. Now I'm trying to get £800/day. So it's rather a big increase. I'm hoping that the end client agrees.
                    Reminds me of this....

Comment

Working...
                    X