• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Variable day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable day rate?

Evening all.

Ive been asked by a former employer to quote for some work potentially around a week at first which I am quoting quite a high day rate for, but there is a chance of getting a 2-3 month contract a little bit down the line.

Is it normal to quote different rates to a client for different pieces of work? I dont want to put the client off contacting me with the larger contract, so need to explain this to them without coming off trying to pressure them into giving me the longer contract... Advice?

You might have done them a good deal in the first one as its quick n dirty as a sweeter and then more for anything more intensive later but if the client is clued up he'll know he's just getting you as a bum on seat resource so the difference might not sit too right with him.

What's your relationship like with him. Do you have him in your pocket, will a sweeter help, does he know a lot about contractors?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You might have done them a good deal in the first one as its quick n dirty as a sweeter and then more for anything more intensive later but if the client is clued up he'll know he's just getting you as a bum on seat resource so the difference might not sit too right with him.

What's your relationship like with him. Do you have him in your pocket, will a sweeter help, does he know a lot about contractors?
      Client is my ex employer from a few years ago, but different department.

It's remote project work so not just bum on seat
      They have had a quote from CSC for the work and their quote has an extra zero on the end of it for the same service..
      Want to quote more for the smaller piece as its short term but more complicated. The other work will be a little easier and a longer contract... Looking at about £150 a day difference between rates.

Comment

Quote them for the entire piece of work.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm not sure there is a "norm". It's business.

Just as an anecdote though, I did a one week job to support some work from a previous contract. Asked for a decent increase on the rate and the agent basically said yeah to be expected for a short term gig.

I've also done dual rate for on site / off site, rather than negotiate a specific number of days wfh up front.

Comment

Thanks all, Cant quote for the whole piece as its different systems and there's a chance that the larger piece might not see the light of day.

Im going to just send the quote for the smaller piece of work at the higher rate and see what they say, I'm still going to be an order of magnitude cheaper than the other quote they have had...

Ill probably follow the quote up with an informal chat with my contact there to let them know that if they want to engage me for a longer term contract that Ill be willing to negotiate the rate.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

you have read OP the wrong way around

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                Evening all.

Ive been asked by a former employer to quote for some work potentially around a week at first which I am quoting quite a high day rate for, but there is a chance of getting a 2-3 month contract a little bit down the line.

Is it normal to quote different rates to a client for different pieces of work? I dont want to put the client off contacting me with the larger contract, so need to explain this to them without coming off trying to pressure them into giving me the longer contract... Advice?
                For sure, a short term consultancy rate, then you can follow up with a price for the additional work.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                  ...Ill probably follow the quote up with an informal chat with my contact there to let them know that if they want to engage me for a longer term contract that Ill be willing to negotiate the rate...
                  Or...quote for the bigger piece of work on the same rate, once you've shown how awesome you are. If they're willing to pay, you could be onto a nice little earner. Use it as a starting point and don't be so keen to under sell yourself. Sounds like you're miles cheaper than the competition anyway, so it's a saving...

Comment

Quote the first bit of work as a lump sum for completing that specific piece of work, not as day rate. Then for the longer arrangement quote a day rate if oyu like.

Comment

Working...
                    X