• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client expects answer within 3 business days - normal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client expects answer within 3 business days - normal?

Hi all, first major post here.

I have been offered a contract by a client I've worked with in the past, but at the same time I have another one 'moving' that I expect to hear back from early next week. The second contract is from a new client with a more interesting role, and is more lucrative (plus it's just a better name to put on the CV).

The issue is, I got a call from the agent today (for the offered role) stating that I need to give an answer within 3 business days - and preferably today. I've told him in the past that I have another one moving, and that I expect to know within 4 business days. He seemed OK with this, but did state that he was concerned that the client would pull the role if I didn't get an answer to them ASAP.

The client has taken two months from the start of the process to now - scheduling issues, etc. I did contribute to that by being on holiday for 3 days, but even so - two months.

I haven't actually *seen* the contract yet - I've only contracted overseas before now, so I don't have a UK Ltd spooled up yet. I'm sorting that now, but until I have the Ltd they can't make out the contract to MyCo, so I don't know all the details. I do know that I won't actually be onsite and billing until early/mid January.

Now I'm confident that the client is only asking for a "Yes, subject to contracts" answer - they obviously won't want me to say yes to something and then be obligated to sign a contract I haven't yet seen. However, if I chose not to work with them, it wouldn't be because of the contract but rather because I'd got a better offer. I'm therefore reluctant to just say "Yeah, sure, send over the contract", because I'd then just end up saying something like "Oh I don't like this clause, and this clause, so er nevermind!" if the other client comes through. Seems dishonest.

I don't want to offend the client (worked with them before) or the agent (who has been great all the way through, put me in at a higher rate than the client normally offers and secured it), but at the same time I don't want to be in a situation where I have to decide on Tuesday to take this offer if the other, more attractive client is a day or two slower than expected.

I'm not too fussed about if the client is being reasonable or unreasonable here - it's business, after all. I'm just surprised that it's such a short turn-around time, and I'm wondering if it's a tactic to get me to commit, and in fact the role will still be available even if I delay them another few days.

Any thoughts? Is this normal? Does it sound like the client (or the agent) is pushing this to get me to commit, and is exaggerating the risk?

tl;dr

why not just accept 'subject to the contract being agreeable'

oh and you can spin up a UK LTD in an hour or so.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      tl;dr

+1

Means you can review it and make it more favourable if required. You'll be able to get a QDOS review that will take time, just as you would for the other contract anyway.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

tl;dr

Originally posted by Xiathorn View Post
        However, if I chose not to work with them, it wouldn't be because of the contract but rather because I'd got a better offer. I'm therefore reluctant to just say "Yeah, sure, send over the contract", because I'd then just end up saying something like "Oh I don't like this clause, and this clause, so er nevermind!" if the other client comes through. Seems dishonest.
        Also yeah, I tend to waffle :/

Comment

Get in touch with the other agent then and see what's happening. Let him know that you've had an offer elsewhere to get his foot on the gas.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

it's about buying time. You're right if you turn it down for a better offer and say it's about the contract that's dishonest. So just tell 'em you've had a better offer.
            The initial suggestion was just to buy a few days.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Get in touch with the other agent then and see what's happening. Let him know that you've had an offer elsewhere to get his foot on the gas.
              Yeah, called the other agent the second the offer came through. Client is still making the decision, apparently. I don't doubt him, but equally can't make him move any faster.

it's about buying time. You're right if you turn it down for a better offer and say it's about the contract that's dishonest. So just tell 'em you've had a better offer.
              The initial suggestion was just to buy a few days.
              Yeah, just not sure how to really handle it. So you're suggesting say "OK, subject to contract review" to the agent, who can then pass that onto the client, and then if another offer comes through then I tell them that? It's honest and straightforward, but somehow I think the client will expect that "OK" to be an actual "OK". I'll call the agent once I have the Ltd set up, so at least they can send the contract through and I can take a look at it.

That's fast. I was planning on going with Gorilla Accounting, and they gave me an idea of 24-48 hours. They giving me the run around, or are you suggesting just Companies House directly for the 1 hour?

Comment

That's fast. I was planning on going with Gorilla Accounting, and they gave me an idea of 24-48 hours. They giving me the run around, or are you suggesting just Companies House directly for the 1 hour?
                It took me 2 hours to find an available domain and company name that matched. I did it direct. It says it usually takes 24 hours but mine didn't. The quickest method is buy an off-the-shelf one. That's a company that's already incorporated, but you'll pay more like £75 - £100. Google for that as there's loads that do them.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-company-online
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

So you tell the agent you need 4 days to see if this other offer comes good, agent seems fine with this, then tells you that his client needs to know in 3 days whether you'll accept, the cynic/realist in me tells me he's trying it on to get you to commit to his role.
                  Last edited by SlipTheJab; 8 December 2016, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    So you tell the agent you need 4 days to see if this other offer comes good, agent seems fine with this, then tells you that his client need stop know in 3 days whether you'll accept, the cynic/realist in me tells me he's trying it on to get you to commit to his role.
                    Yeah, my thoughts too, but as I said he's been good so far so I'm reluctant to go that route. Cue "Are you sure you're COTBAC?"

Good advice here though, thanks. I'll have the Ltd spooled up by tomorrow and I'll get them to send over the contract. Much appreciated everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X