• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to get into contracting but not sure about rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    That doesnt' really state the reason why though, does it.

I was referring to OP comment in post 9 - 'I have heard that some contracters might have to wait for months at a time to secure a contract, so I wouldn't be putting all of my eggs in one basket! I would like to give it a shot though, especially because I feel I am good at it.' and am asking him to clarify this.
    LOL no, just pulling your leg. He's not a contractor and doesn't understand his situation so it's going to be impossible for him to answer really.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      LOL no, just pulling your leg. He's not a contractor and doesn't understand his situation so it's going to be impossible for him to answer really.
      As it's seasonal, I'll let this one pass...

Yes that I guess was my point- why does OP think he would be good at contracting with so little experience and apparent knowledge as to what contracting is about (rhetorical question in this post, NLUK !)

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        As it's seasonal, I'll let this one pass...

Yes that I guess was my point- why does OP think he would be good at contracting with so little experience and apparent knowledge as to what contracting is about (rhetorical question in this post, NLUK !)
        Exactly why temping is the correct approach. Should be looking for an hourly rate with a temp agency who deals with the tax and NI implications for them rather than worrying about accountants, PLI/PI and so forth.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by henryhooverville View Post
          So I finished a year apprenticeship in London at a law firm, paid 19k pa which was really good but I also want to go to uni so a perm role isn't really for me. I like the idea of being able to be flexible, being paid a little more than a pittance, and also sort of 'choosing' when I work particularly with things like exams looming with uni.

I'm totally green while I am looking for a day rate at like 100 which would pay the same as if I went permie at my previous firm. **amended** I work in first line support, sorry to not mention it.

I know I only have a year exp but I'm not stupid and was actually pretty good at my previous job, better than some lads with two or three years under their belt. It's hard to tell, but what could someone like me consider reasonable to charge a client? Living in London is expensive enough without being treated like I can't do maths :/
          Hi Henry. When I was 20 Years Old (20 years ago approx. 1997), desktop support roles in the City of London were paying £350pd with next to zero tax and you just needed to rock up into a B&B with a suit and a travel bag to get a job. Work for 6 months and then put a deposit on a docklands flat.

I did not follow that path but you get the picture of how easy it was to break into.

The bar is now significantly higher in terms of entry criteria and pay has collapsed. You do not want to be in a desktop support or lower-skilled role in contracting as it currently stands, those days are over. These days I would say that you need around 10-15 years experience under your belt in solid permie roles to then switch into contracting. This is not just an experience thing, its about creating a contact book which you can build and use when you hit the permie pay ceiling and need to switch into contracting.

My advice to a 19 year old now would be to get a professional services role in a large software company (Symantec, Veritas, Microsoft, Oracle, VMWare etc.) which requires junior consultants to go all over EMEA to do some basic design and install of their products, spend no more than 2.5 years at a company and go from there and re-asses every 5 years what you like and dislike about your job. Once you have 10 years under belt, go into contracting.

Comment

A little update then...

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the advice and criticism first of all - I've found I am trying to be a little more professional when dealing with people after reading your reflections.

Thankfully a few recruiters and consultants have picked up my CV, this week I have two interviews lined up for 6 month contracts... oddly enough they are both in the Brighton area!

One other for a law firm in London, 200pd also 6 months but I am not holding out for that as several agencies are involved. Though I have been shortlisted it is way way above what I could charge if I wasn't backed by the consultant on this.

Trying to be concise so forgive me if this comes across the wrong way: clients are pickier than I thought. Looking into it, right now it's mainly senior development roles and I am not senior. I am junior, youthful, a bud far away from blooming. Even the fairly junior stuff requires circa two/three years to sway people and attract attention.

I now really appreciate how difficult it is and how absolutely insane I am. I would go for temp contracts in any case so for the time being I will keep at it. If I am very lucky I will secure something, if I fail I've wasted three months before Christmas and will slap myself... But you may just see me around more if it works out, so 'ello.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
              how old is OP?
              19, born 14/07/1997.

A trueborn youngling and all.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the advice and criticism first of all - I've found I am trying to be a little more professional when dealing with people after reading your reflections.

Thankfully a few recruiters and consultants have picked up my CV, this week I have two interviews lined up for 6 month contracts... oddly enough they are both in the Brighton area!

One other for a law firm in London, 200pd also 6 months but I am not holding out for that as several agencies are involved. Though I have been shortlisted it is way way above what I could charge if I wasn't backed by the consultant on this.

Trying to be concise so forgive me if this comes across the wrong way: clients are pickier than I thought. Looking into it, right now it's mainly senior development roles and I am not senior. I am junior, youthful, a bud far away from blooming. Even the fairly junior stuff requires circa two/three years to sway people and attract attention.

I now really appreciate how difficult it is and how absolutely insane I am. I would go for temp contracts in any case so for the time being I will keep at it. If I am very lucky I will secure something, if I fail I've wasted three months before Christmas and will slap myself... But you may just see me around more if it works out, so 'ello.
                Rates in Brighton are lower than London and unless you live nearby the commute is more expensive.

Plus if you don't drive you are likely to need to take Southern trains.

This means you will lose 3 days work for every strike day the unions take plus another 3 days for every strike day the random f*** ups of Govia Thameslink management do because they can't run a railway.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So what's your long term plan? Just think you've made it becasuse you are earning 200 quid or less for 6 months? That's your career plan?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Bright brighton

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Rates in Brighton are lower than London and unless you live nearby the commute is more expensive.

Plus if you don't drive you are likely to need to take Southern trains.
                    I was thinking a B&B or flatshare (latter ideally and eventually). I finally got their office address so I can now start on finding a place.

Comment

I was thinking a B&B or flatshare (latter ideally and eventually). I finally got their office address so I can now start on finding a place.
                      Errrm, before you have contract offer
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X