• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to get into contracting but not sure about rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So what's your long term plan? Just think you've made it becasuse you are earning 200 quid or less for 6 months? That's your career plan?
    No way is even a couple hundred enough for a career in this. I am currently looking to learn Python, next year will be Java and C# to a basic level. After that I will probably have to go for a perm role to start getting experience as a junior developer and after about 5 years from now I hope to set off and dabble in contracting again.

The money I earn over the next few months will fund the certifications for a little while.

I think first line right now is good for me because it is lower maintainence than a higher level (it is the lowest level really) - enough that I can do a degree as well.

I am sort of cashing in for the moment to then re-invest that and upskill into either Java or C# at the end of it. Less stress when I am at uni (financial) means more time to study code.

I will be poor either way for the next few years, best to spend what I have to earn even more at the end of it and such.

Comment

Oh, also I'd be doing a History degree so a lot of time to myself to read really.
      What use do you think a history degree is going to be to your goal of being a software developer?

Or do you fancy sh@gging around and caining it for a few years?

Serious question?
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If i was 19 again OP i would run far away as possible from IT.

Contract roles are few and far between and unless you like dealing with lying cheating agencies it is not the life for you .

Automation is putting an end to lots of different professions , find something a machine or piece of software cannot do .
        Last edited by cvinbin; 13 December 2016, 17:04.

Comment

I've got a mate whose got a degree in Geology (or soil as I used to call it), he's a pretty good automation tester.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            What use do you think a history degree is going to be to your goal of being a software developer?

Or do you fancy sh@gging around and caining it for a few years?

Serious question?
            Absolutely nothing, it's a personal investment in the same way I might buy a prettier car or get a loft converted. Though it does give me time and if I find something part-time r software development cool. It's really just something I want to do, some people build castles but I write history.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Errrm, before you have contract offer
              Not proper like but looking into places in the instance I am given an offer so the move could be a smooth process, umm inasmuch as the interview is Thursday so I might as well give it a peekn

I am bad with words lol

Comment

As a general rule you can't rely on learning stuff as a contractor, particularly stuck on a 1st line service desk. You are there to deliver, not bugger around. That's reserved for permies.

You are also gonna fail on your funding if you get this gig and then nothing for months after.

IMO you've seen the rates and you can't let it go. In 4 or 5 years of not getting anywhere you are going to regret it all. You won't be the first and certainly won't be the last.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cvinbin View Post
                  If i was 19 again OP i would run far away as possible from IT...

Automation is putting a end to lots of different professions...
                  Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  I've got a mate whose got a degree in Geology (or soil as I used to call it), he's a pretty good automation tester.
                  You could say that automation doesn't rock

I'll keep my eye out, still young. Maybe I can do the History of Geology

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    ... IMO you've seen the rates and you can't let it go.
                    I really am not a material sort of person, the money's nice and if I can make it work coolio. But if not then I have other avenues/careers I can pursue, I don't want to throw myself at IT until I'm all bruised.

The software dev stuff feeds into a little life project I'd like to do, but right now I want flexibility of work - finding someone to hire my services be it at a shopfront or at a helpdesk, and then running off to uni to really sit down in poverty but with a tulip-ton of resources for me to develop as an individual.

I'm looking for a vocation not money for a vacation, and hey if you see my CV and like it, grab a reference, that's grand :Wink

Comment

Originally posted by henryhooverville View Post
                      Absolutely nothing, it's a personal investment in the same way I might buy a prettier car or get a loft converted. Though it does give me time and if I find something part-time r software development cool. It's really just something I want to do, some people build castles but I write history.
                      A History degree isn't a personal investment when you have to pay for it as you won't easily get a job that pays of the debt.

If you are serious in going into IT and earning money do some funky course with a programming or business element.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X