• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking to get into contracting but not sure about rates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by henryhooverville View Post
    So I finished a year apprenticeship in London at a law firm, paid 19k pa which was really good but I also want to go to uni so a perm role isn't really for me. I like the idea of being able to be flexible, being paid a little more than a pittance, and also sort of 'choosing' when I work particularly with things like exams looming with uni.

I'm totally green while I am looking for a day rate at like 100 which would pay the same as if I went permie at my previous firm. **amended** I work in first line support, sorry to not mention it.

I know I only have a year exp but I'm not stupid and was actually pretty good at my previous job, better than some lads with two or three years under their belt. It's hard to tell, but what could someone like me consider reasonable to charge a client? Living in London is expensive enough without being treated like I can't do maths :/
    Two things.

Stop starting things with "so". It annoys people.

You're not a contractor, you're a temp. That's also the sort of work you're looking at. Have a look at temp agencies, like you'd have a walk around a few estate agents when getting an idea of houses. Take a copy of your cv and have a chat - they'll often search harder for you if they can put a face to the name.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Two things.

Stop starting things with "so". It annoys people.

You're not a contractor, you're a temp. That's also the sort of work you're looking at. Have a look at temp agencies, like you'd have a walk around a few estate agents when getting an idea of houses. Take a copy of your cv and have a chat - they'll often search harder for you if they can put a face to the name.
      So I would agree with the above.

OP - you state that you think you would be good at contracting - can you explain in what way (serious question) ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        So I would agree with the above.

OP - you state that you think you would be good at contracting - can you explain in what way (serious question) ?
        So would I

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          So would I
          So sure of this you are?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            It's in his original post!!

I'm not stupid and was actually pretty good at my previous job, better than some lads with two or three years under their belt
            What more do you need?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That doesnt' really state the reason why though, does it.

I was referring to OP comment in post 9 - 'I have heard that some contracters might have to wait for months at a time to secure a contract, so I wouldn't be putting all of my eggs in one basket! I would like to give it a shot though, especially because I feel I am good at it.' and am asking him to clarify this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                So sure of this you are?
                So so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  So sure of this you are?
                  Yoda, this is not General. P*** off.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    If you are going to get into debt doing a degree wouldn't it be a good idea to do one where it will help you get a job?
                    NLUK sockie detected.

Mods - please ban immediately.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                      NLUK sockie detected.

Mods - please ban immediately.
                      Wuuuut? I've already had an infraction today. Don't bring me in to anything...
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X