• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to take some non verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning tests a couple of roles ago before I would be interviewed. I didn't mind doing this as I was interested to see how well I would do (which was very well as it turns out), and enabled me land a very lucrative and enjoyable gig.

Turns out the interview was quicker than actually sitting the tests.

Not sure what the problems is, if it enables you to land the role.

Comment

In the past, I have been asked to take on-line technical tests, on-site monkey level SQL tests (there is a team of football clubs and a table of match results, join them and show results against teams), in depth stupid tests ("How do you start SQL SSMS? What, you dont turn the PC on first? Describe logging on to the PC... I kid you not).

I quote like the on-line tests, you get a nice email back with the results.. I save it to a PDF and its ammo for the next few interviews (look, I did a test last week and scored 97%)

Comment

Haven't ever had to do a test but my last-but-one gig handed me a sheet of requirements with an outline test strategy and asked for my comments. I spent 10 minutes going through its shortcomings in detail and it helped secure the role. Apparently some of the other candidates just handed it back and said "it looks fine to me".

Comment

Ive had all sorts in the past.

Single stage phone interviews where as long as you answer the questions with "yes, I've used that technology for ages" you get the gig.

Face to Face interviews where they talk through your CV.

Technical Tests and Face to Face...Basically ended up in Cardiff for the day, was given a "spec", told to build it and get it working to then demo it back to the client (consultancy) at the end of the day. Then on the way home asked if I could go and meet the end client on the Monday in London. Just talked through the role and my CV.

I start the London gig on the 12th.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            Some people can bulltulip their way through an interview but get caught out when it comes to being tested on something, particularly in a technical role...
            The problem is when the interviewer has less technical knowledge than you do, but thinks he's really smart. Then he asks questions based on remembering obscure stuff that if you really needed you'd look up, rather than on your skill.

Sometimes the tests are just for HR/Procurement box-ticking purposes.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              The problem is when the interviewer has less technical knowledge than you do, but thinks he's really smart. Then he asks questions based on remembering obscure stuff that if you really needed you'd look up, rather than on your skill.

Sometimes the tests are just for HR/Procurement box-ticking purposes.
              is "I don't know off the top of my head but I know where I could find it, in standard XX/XX" not a reasonable answer for questions like that?

Comment

I've been on both ends. Interviewing, I've had everything from a 10 min call discussing when I can start, to written technical tests.

When I've interviewed people, their personality and mindset is something I'm usually more interested in, so I start off with a few simple techie questions to gauge general subject knowledge and then ask open ended questions and see how they'd troubleshoot a problem.

I have worked with people who muddled through the interview and were absolutely awful when given anything to do, so perhaps sometimes a hard test is a good starting point even if it means they end up saying, "I don't know the answer to that, I'd have to Google it." rather than attempting to flannel you.

Being given effectively 1 day consultancy gig though? Sod that for a game of soldiers!
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Illustrious View Post
                  I just wanted to gauge the experience of other contractors based on something that happened to me today.

I've officially got two more months on the contract I'm on and I've been told that come February I'll be offered an extension. I love the work, love the company. One of my favorite gigs to be honest. The downside is it's away from home and I'm missing the kids and wife. I got a call last week about a role close to home that will start end February. I was surprised to be asked to speak with the client now but was told that they were wanting get everything in place before the project kicks off.

My usual experience of "interviews" as a contractor has been more of a friendly chat where I'll go in or speak on the phone. They'll go through my work, some really big projects I've delivered, talk about them and maybe reflect on how I'd do things differently. Have a chat in general about my experience, especially as my portfolio has grown

I attended a meeting today that was essentially a test. The last time I had an interview like this I was fresh out of uni looking for my first job. It was almost like my work for the last nine years didn't count for anything. They were grading me via a test.

I was super annoyed and maybe I was rash but I simply said that i found the whole situation a little insulting and that I wasn't interested. The agent wasn't pleased but I told him that I didn't expect to be treated like a fresh grad. My work should speak for itself, so should my references. He seemed to think that it was normal but I've honestly never had this as a contractor.

What's the general experience of everyone else when lining up their next gig. Ate these kinds of tests normal? Have I just never had a proper interview/screening? More importantly, was I out of order?
                  How can your prospective clients look at previous projects you've done or have any faith in the references you've given (most of us don't put any).

I disagree with aptitude tests as part of the interview process, but I do like to test/talk technical areas with candidates. Expecting a client to give you a contract on a short chat is naive, you should be prepared for anything.

Walking away from that situation puts you in a bad light.

Comment

Sorry but I disagree. What’s wrong with test? 80% of developers (both contractors and perms) write tulip code. If you haven’t spent 10 years at Google or Microsoft, your CV doesn't tell much. However some people go over the top with testing. I had once 4 tests (each couple hours). And failed last one, for no particular reason – maybe they simply didn't like me. That was a waste of time.

P.S.
                    I would be very careful with company who has 10-20 minutes interview. I can imagine what a random team they selected....

Comment

I had to do an online test for an interview a year or so ago. I quite enjoyed it actually, but it was all slightly obscure indepth C++ stuff that isn't that relevant in reality. At the interview they told me they hadn't seen the results.

I think as a developer if I were interviewing another developer I could talk to them for an hour and have a much better understanding of their abilities than I'd get from any test. And if it turns out to be a mistake you can always get rid of them.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X