• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wipro consultancy rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    You'll start off consulting, advising them how to do things properly. They'll nod, smile, and say "sure" a lot. It won't get done how you've advised.
    After the third or fourth time explaining the same thing, you'll end up doing the work yourself, otherwise you'll look bad to the vendor.
    You'll start to shout a lot, and find that you need to take long walks to calm down.
    Eventually you'll get canned for your "attitude", while Wipro convince the vendor that they're cheap enough to just throw more bodies at the problem. They'll use your templates and plans though, and pass them off as their own.
    If you manage to curb your temper, you will instead eventually be canned for not "communicating well". Whatever the reason, it is just an excuse to get rid of you once you have provided them with enough stuff that they can put in the hands of one of their own bods.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Best they offered me about 5 years ago was £375, they then asked why I was laughing down the phone at them.
      Considering that their own rates for a 'senior' (meaning somebody with 6+ months of experience) are at around $35 per hour (£200 per day back then when I was on the receiving end), £375 is an astronomical amount of money for them.

Comment

Wipro or any other Indian company don't speak French or German which means that the end client hardly expects me to speak a foreign language.I started my last contract speaking French but ended up talking English all day as their offshore team spoke no French.A Bob arrived on site and was looking forward to working in Belgium until he found out that his child needed to speak French to attend the local school and his rate didn't cover the €1000 a month to send the kid to a private european school

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          ...but don't forget to bring a towel.
          If you're lucky, hitch a ride with Tricia McMillan and ask her to make a booking for you at the restaurant, she knows where it is.
          Now you've done it, need to get into the loft to retrieve those Adams classics for yet another read!

Comment

Hmm, I'm about to sign a contract with Wipro for a job in the Netherlands so this thread doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm currently in the UK and will have to relocate.
            The recruitment company that contacted me about the role will be the umbrella, providing 64% retention rate, with some bonus paid at the end of the contract...?!?
            This will be my first contract job so all the comments are putting me off! What do do???

Comment

Originally posted by UhOh View Post
              Hmm, I'm about to sign a contract with Wipro for a job in the Netherlands so this thread doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm currently in the UK and will have to relocate.
              The recruitment company that contacted me about the role will be the umbrella, providing 64% retention rate, with some bonus paid at the end of the contract...?!?
              This will be my first contract job so all the comments are putting me off! What do do???
              How long is the contract for and who covers your expenses?
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                How long is the contract for and who covers your expenses?
                Hi Cojak,

The timescale is 6 to 12 months, but it can be extended until Nov 2018, "until completion of the project".
                I get to cover the expenses (travel, accommodation, etc unless work related), I think due to the Dutch 30% tax ruling..?

Comment

I'm on something similar, and had the same concerns about the 'bonus' at the end.

What they have to do is withhold an amount equivalent to what your holiday allowance on a pro rata basis would be, and you get that back at the end. I initially threw my toys out of the pram as the contracts don't break this down properly and instead make it look like you are being stiffed out of half your rate. The complexities of the Dutch tax system mean you are being taxed like a brolly in the UK, but you have to account separately for the 30% allowance etc etc. For all my criticisms of agencies in the UK they are as a whole more on the ball about explaining these things.

It's only worth going out there if you are on a VERY meaty daily rate and you stay out there instead of travelling back and forth which given that you have to pay your own expenses (I do) means it's probably more worthwhile staying in the UK on a low rate (250-300 a day). I quite like the place and have negotiated a partially remote working setup so it's just about worth it for me.

Comment

Hi Nucastle,

Thanks for the input. The rate is a lot more than what I'm on at the moment and I probably won't travel home that often, though I do have a house and mortgage here in the UK. I'm not sure how that will be affected!

Comment

Remember

Hi Cojak,

The timescale is 6 to 12 months, but it can be extended until Nov 2018, "until completion of the project".
                      I get to cover the expenses (travel, accommodation, etc unless work related), I think due to the Dutch 30% tax ruling..?
                      The day they think they can do 10% of your job you will be replaced - don't take a long let

Comment

Working...
                      X