• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract early?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving a contract early?

A friend has an offer to start a new role paying £110 more per day and closer to home. I've advised him
    to take it but be is worried as still has 3 months of his contract to go. what would you do? Surely its better to take the role than wait until 3 months time and struggle to get something?

What does his contract say? What are his notice options? If he can give notice and then join the new gig what's the problem.

Why as a contractor did you not ask him this first?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What does his contract say? What are his notice options? If he can give notice and then join the new gig what's the problem.

The notice period doesn't seem to be an issue. I think he is more concerned about jumping ship. In my opinion if budgets were cut the current company would have no problem releasing him. Business is business.

Comment

For that amount even I can't argue it. As long as he doesn't mind not working at his current client again (which he still might, it's not a given) and doesn't make a habit of it it seems to be a pretty simple decision.

Question would be will the new client be willing to wait if he's got a fairly long notice period?

Comment

Give notice and leave, simples. Or is it...

Comment

Am I seeing things?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Am I seeing things?
              For that amount even I can't argue it. As long as he doesn't mind not working at his current client again (which he still might, it's not a given) and doesn't make a habit of it it seems to be a pretty simple decision.

Question would be will the new client be willing to wait if he's got a fairly long notice period?
              To be fair NLUK did say why

Comment

Or ask him to ask his own questions?
                First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Am I seeing things?
                  NLUK says he'll be back online in a minute to respond, he's just popped off to sign on

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    NLUK says he'll be back online in a minute to respond, he's just popped off to sign on
                    I'll have to respond tomorrow. I've pulled a sickie to go to an interview.

Comment

Working...
                    X